Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Report spring across the country and europe

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    Spring has sprung in Southern Arizona. We had a wet winter and now the reward is flowers everywhere.... Also my parents in Oregon report that there are flowers blooming there also.

So could you all report spring as it comes to your communities? I am interested in knowing when and how it comes around the US and Europe. Pictures will be nice too (sorry, I lost my digital camera or I would show you our golden poppy fields growing near here).

I think this will evolve over the next month or so until even the coldest areas will be in full bloom by mid May.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    The ones in my bed stick out a lot. I think I'll have to buy a new mattress soon.

EDIT: I'm in the US, by the way. Washington state.

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Solid ice here, spring will be early June, perhaps, very late for this area. We also had a devastating late spring freeze last year which destroyed the fruit crops and killed many trees. So, we're on our second year of bad freezing weather.

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I have several feet of saturated snow on my front lawn, and I cannot expect to see that lawn until sometime in April at the earliest, unless spring jumps us hot and wet. In that case, we will have to deal with missing dams, bridges, roads, etc. and that's a whole other situation.

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    Wildman, southern Arizona, you know nothing of winter! Here (San Juan county, NM in the NW) it is starting to get slightly warmer, and a lot windier, the trademark of a New Mexico spring.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, here in the central Willamette Valley spring is well under way, Crocus and Daffodills are blooming all over the place. Looks like my Stellar Magnolia and flowering Pear trees are about to blossem. The Magnolia ususally blossoms to early for this area as we are still susceptable to a frost. Most years we end up with frost burned blossoms. Maybe this year will be different... :rofl: Of course given the choise, this year has tended to the cold side. I am betting on frost burn.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    Some slight swelling of the Maple buds, so I fugure about 4 good weeks of cold weather yet.

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    I wore shorts all day on Saturday so I guess spring is here.

10. Mar 10, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

In the UK every thing is arse over tit, some day soon the poor old hedge hog will not know when to hibernate.

11. Mar 11, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard a red-wing blackbird this afternoon :approve: !

12. Mar 12, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

The pileated woodpeckers are calling (loony laughs) and jockeying for breeding territory. The lot across the road from my house is loaded with mature evergreens, including lots of dead ones, so it's perfect for them. They are very large birds and they and their broods require a lot of food, so they need to control sizable territories.

13. Mar 21, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Today, it stayed below freezing all day with gale-force winds. Luckily, we didn't get snow. This weekend is expected to be raw and cold for March. Hopefully, we don't get an extended warm, wet spell any time soon, or we'll be featured in the national news and we'll be begging for money to replace dams, bridges, roads, etc. The saturated snow-pack across the state is unprecedented.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?