Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reporters are Idiots

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2005-10-27-mars-flyby_x.htm
    Say what? Second time in 60,000 years? Besides the 17 year cycle of close approaches, this one isn't even the second closest in 5 years! It's going to be 43 million miles away and the 2001 opposition was 42 million miles.

And this is an AP report, which means it's going out in every major news outlet (cnn has the same story, verbatim).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder what this means? I don't know anyone who had any trouble seeing it last time. It's going to glow this time, but it didn't glow last time?

For the northern hemisphere, Mars will be a lot higher than in 2003, making this a better apparation for people at latitude like mine (38N). Maybe that's what they meant to say.

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So wait.... are you telling me we can't trust reporters for scientific news seeing as how practically there only requirements in college are remedial chemistry?

5. Oct 27, 2005 #4
    ooookkkkkkk

6. Oct 27, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think that's what they meant. Yes, along with scientific illiteracy, this particular reporter has trouble constructing a coherent sentence.

7. Oct 29, 2005 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's another one from AP

Comets Hit Early Americans, Scientists Say
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051029...rVqRe2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM-

Strange opening sentence for an article that promised us comets. It then drops all supernovae references and gets to the comet theory.

Comets are part of the solar system. How do you strike the solar system anyway?

A little slow for a comet! Some fighter jets are faster. Since this is slower than Earth escape velocity, it would be impossible for them to hit with such a low speed.

If you read this story from the above link, hit the "Discuss" button. There's a bunch of "Re: Comets are not supernovae" posts.

8. Oct 30, 2005 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Oh my god, I thought politics was stupid.

9. Oct 30, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

1,000km/h is pretty much what any jet aircraft, private or military can do lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?