Report Animal Abuse: Is This Grounds for Reporting?

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary, a neighbor has kept his two dogs in a small cage outside for the past few years, with no interaction with other living things. This is considered animal abuse and should be reported to the proper authorities, such as the Humane Society, ASPCA, or local animal control. The cage does not provide adequate shelter or space for the dogs and they only receive occasional visits from their owner. It is important to contact the correct agency and continue reporting until action is taken to ensure the safety and well-being of the dogs.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have this neighbor who keeps his two dogs outside within a cage that is about the dimensions of a shed - all year for the past few years. He has moved to another location , every once in a while he checks up on them it seems , again he has been doing this for a couple of years. The cage is located at the corner of the brick wall perimeter enclosing the suburb , the dogs have no perspective of anything and certainly no interplay with things that are living. Again the dogs are outside all year and spend their lives in a corner where they do not even have anything to bark at - is this animal abuse of some sort in the sense that there are grounds for it to be reported?

Physics news on Phys.org
SPCA is one possibility, but some local governments have animal protection groups in the police department.

It's definitely abuse, even if there's no overt physical cruelty. Report it to somebody, but I don't know who since your legal system is unfamiliar to me. As long as there's food and water, the circumstances might be okay for cats, but dogs need a chance to run around once in a while, and to interact with their Alpha. I readily admit that I don't like dogs, but even I don't want to see one in distress.

There should be a phone number to call in your local area, oh and make sure to keep calling if they don't come (bureaucracy you know). God the actual like name of division or part of the local government that takes care of this stuff is eluding me this morning. Animal welfare maybe?

Dogs should be allowed out of any enclosure for exercise once a day, and that enclosure should provide shelter from the elements. Does it have a roof? Shade? A dog house to get out of the wind or cold? Are the dogs given fresh water daily? Food daily? If not, it is abuse/neglect. Checking in on them once in a while is not good care.

Who lives in the house that the dogs stay there, and are the people living in the house supposed to be responsible for them?

In some areas, the Humane Society will investigate such complaints, in others the ASPCA, and in others, it's up to the county or city animal control officers or police. I'd suggest starting with the Humane Society if there is one in your area, just because if they have the authority to check it out, it's more likely that they will find homes for the dogs if they have to rescue them than if the police take them. If they can't do anything, they should at least know who can and who to call. If it comes down to calling the police, call the non-emergency line. They can still dispatch officers to the house to investigate, but will take more time to listen to what's going on and refer you to the right agency if it isn't something the police handle.

Moonbear said:
Dogs should be allowed out of any enclosure for exercise once a day, and that enclosure should provide shelter from the elements. Does it have a roof? Shade? A dog house to get out of the wind or cold? Are the dogs given fresh water daily? Food daily? If not, it is abuse/neglect. Checking in on them once in a while is not good care.

It is merely a boxed cage about the same size of a shed , the sole way to not get rained on is by going into the dog house. The answer is no to all of the other questions.

Moonbear said:
Who lives in the house that the dogs stay there, and are the people living in the house supposed to be responsible for them?

They have moved to another location a couple of years ago.

Moonbear said:
In some areas, the Humane Society will investigate such complaints, in others the ASPCA, and in others, it's up to the county or city animal control officers or police. I'd suggest starting with the Humane Society if there is one in your area, just because if they have the authority to check it out, it's more likely that they will find homes for the dogs if they have to rescue them than if the police take them. If they can't do anything, they should at least know who can and who to call. If it comes down to calling the police, call the non-emergency line. They can still dispatch officers to the house to investigate, but will take more time to listen to what's going on and refer you to the right agency if it isn't something the police handle.

We have a Humane Society close by , so I am probably going to refer to them.

1. What qualifies as animal abuse?

Animal abuse can be defined as any intentional and malicious act of harm or neglect towards an animal. This can include physical abuse, such as hitting or kicking, as well as neglect, such as failure to provide adequate food, water, or shelter.

2. How can I report suspected animal abuse?

If you suspect that an animal is being abused, you can report it to your local animal control agency or law enforcement. You can also contact organizations such as the ASPCA or Humane Society for guidance on how to report animal abuse in your area.

3. What evidence do I need to report animal abuse?

When reporting animal abuse, it is important to gather as much evidence as possible. This can include photographs or videos of the animal's living conditions, any visible injuries, and any witnesses who have seen the abuse occur. You can also provide any documentation, such as vet records, that may support your claim.

4. Will my report remain confidential?

Most animal abuse reports are kept confidential, however, the laws regarding confidentiality may vary depending on your location. It is important to inform the agency or organization handling the report if you wish to remain anonymous.

5. What happens after I report animal abuse?

After you have reported suspected animal abuse, the agency or organization responsible for handling the report will conduct an investigation. If the report is found to be legitimate, they will take the necessary steps to remove the animal from the abusive situation and provide proper care and treatment. The abuser may face legal consequences for their actions.