Is Reporting Internet Fraud to a Provider Effective?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, it is good to contact the webmaster (or another position - security?) of a provider (like Yahoo) to report incidences of fraud.
Loren Booda
Does it do any good to contact the webmaster (or another position - security?) of a provider (like Yahoo) to report incidences of fraud ("I have $2.5 million for you") using their network to communicate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried?

If that doesn't work you could report it to the FTC(or whatever investigates that)

I would say do it! I hate frauds they need to learn that they can't steel others work.

It's hopeless. There are many thousands of these frauds and swindlers, they are small and agile, while the agencies are overworked bureaucracies. There was a thread here about a fraud selling "cancer cures" to victims:

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-105086.html

Eventually the FDA shut down their commercial operations (perhaps only because they appeared on FOX news). They still have their web domain:

The Cancer Control websites are closed and no more products that cure cancer are being sold. That's good news for the thousands of competing websites that also claim to sell cancer cures or company’s profiting from donations. Actually, it is not so good news for the millions of cancer patients in America. Was Cancer Control really curing cancer or fake?? We investigated and found out what was fake and what was not. The cancer cure website was shut down by the government on January 11, 2006. Not because the product was fake, but because it was not paying the FDA the required millions...
http://cancercure.org/

It seems then, these crooks did not get the legnthy prison sentences they deserved. :frown:

Just to put the problem in perspective:

Google said:
Results 1 - 10 of about 3,010,000 for nigeria scam
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,660,000 for magnet therapy
Results 1 - 10 of about 11,100,000 for "free energy"
Results 1 - 10 of about 6,220,000 for miracle cures
Results 1 - 10 of about 13,200,000 for detox
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,370,000 for AIDS conspiracy
Results 1 - 10 of about 3,520,000 for herbal therapy cancer
Results 1 - 10 of about 71,300,000 for intelligent design
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,960,000 for cold fusion energy
Results 1 - 10 of about 7,410,000 for ancient cure
Results 1 - 10 of about 235,000,000 for enlarge
http://www.google.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
For comparison:

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,660,000 for magnet therapy
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,560,000 for trans unsaturated

And I thought the spam appeared because I was so popular.

Rach3 on!

Let's not forget "on-line diplomas" :rolleyes:

Lawyer: Gov't workers got fake diplomas
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061012/ap_on_go_ot/diploma_mill (link may have time-limited viability)
SPOKANE, Wash. - At least 135 federal employees, including a White House staff member and National Security Agency employees, bought bogus online college degrees from a diploma mill, a lawyer in the case against the mill operators said.

Some of those who paid thousands of dollars for phony diplomas include a senior State Department employee in Kuwait and a Department of Justice employee in Spokane, defense lawyer Peter S. Schweda said Wednesday.

The bogus degree purchases by the federal workers were revealed Wednesday during a U.S. District Court status conference for five defendants in the case against the mill, The Spokesman-Review reported Thursday.

None of the federal officials was identified during the conference.

"We're not going to disclose who bought these degrees until after the trial is under way," U.S. Attorney James A. McDevitt told the newspaper.

The alleged ringleaders of the bogus diploma mill, Dixie E. and Stephen K. Randock Sr., were indicted in October 2005 on charges of conspiring to commit wire and mail fraud and laundering almost $2 million in diploma mill receipts from 2002 to 2005. The indictments were the result of an eight-month investigation into the mill.
:yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm using a web email service, I usually use the "report junk mail" or "report spam" or whatever it's called by each service when I delete those types of emails. I don't know how far they investigate those reports, or if they just add them to their filter, but that's an easy start.

If you get ones spoofing another provider as part of a phishing scam, such as the ones pretending to be a credit card company or eBay, reporting it directly to the fraud department of the company they are spoofing gets better results than going to the email provider (they'll ask you to copy complete header information...a lot of times the email address you see isn't really the origin of the spam anyway, but is also spoofed).

Gmail also has an option to signal phishing.

I got some emails from @purdue.edu so I forwarded those to their webmaster but never got any reply.

1. How effective is reporting internet fraud to a provider?

Reporting internet fraud to a provider can be effective in some cases, as it allows the provider to take action against the fraudulent activity and potentially prevent others from falling victim to it. However, it may not always result in immediate action or resolution, as providers may have to investigate the claim before taking action.

2. What types of internet fraud should be reported to a provider?

Any type of internet fraud, such as phishing scams, identity theft, or fraudulent websites, should be reported to a provider. It is also important to report suspicious emails, messages, or pop-ups that may be attempting to steal personal information or money.

3. How can I report internet fraud to a provider?

The best way to report internet fraud to a provider is to contact their customer service or support team. You can usually find their contact information on their website or by searching for their customer service number. You can also report fraud to organizations such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).

4. Will reporting internet fraud to a provider protect me from future scams?

While reporting internet fraud to a provider may help prevent others from becoming victims, it may not necessarily protect you from future scams. It is important to always be cautious and vigilant when using the internet, and to never share personal information or send money to unknown sources.

5. Can I report internet fraud to a provider anonymously?

It may be possible to report internet fraud to a provider anonymously, but it is recommended to provide your contact information so the provider can follow up with any necessary information or updates. However, if you are concerned about your anonymity, you can report the fraud to organizations such as the FTC or IC3, who allow for anonymous reporting.