Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation of magnetic hysteresis loss as a resistance in equivalent circuits

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Hi Guys, :smile:

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the representation of 'Magnetic Hysteresis loss' as a resistance in electrical equivalent circuits?..... will be extremely grateful.

Thanks & Regards,
    Shahvir

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. What can you tell us about your question? What have you learned so far about it? What web resources have you been using to investigate the question?

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    I have studied some info on this subject on the net. Even though the physics of Hysteresis Loss has been explained appropriately, I wish to dwell deeper into the phenomenon to get to the source of my doubt. In spite of the relevant theories, it becomes difficult to visualize a magnetic phenomenon into an electrical parameter as mentioned by me earlier. When we talk of energy expended by the power source to ‘pump up’ the magnetic field in the core, sounds a bit abstract!

I want to understand what phenomenon in the magnetic hysteresis causes the machine (Xmer or motor) to suck an additional losses (wattful) current from the power source.

Is it a result of the delay caused by the magnetic dipole friction in the magnetic core........ which prevents the magnetic field from building up quickly? I would be grateful if someone could elaborate on this part. Thanx.

Kind Regards,
    Shahvir

5. Mar 12, 2009 #4
    Someone plz reply to this query too!! :frown: (or is this query in the wrong section of the forum :confused:)

Kind Regards,
    Shahvir

6. Mar 12, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I googled "magnetic hysteresis loss" and got lots of hits (including your post of the questionn on another forum, also without much of a reply). There seem to be some pretty good hits on the list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q='Magnetic+Hysteresis+loss'

Have you read the wikipedia.org article? It seems to have some pretty good discussion of the losses....

7. Mar 13, 2009 #6
    Thanx for considering my request. The first thing i did was to browse the net like you did, but the discussions do not delve deep into he physics of Hysteresis loss! (they are general explanations). Still i'll give it a go.

OOPS!! :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook