1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation theory

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2a9uzkn.jpg

I think I've done (a) and (b) correctly (please check).

I'm stuck as to how to describe all subspaces of [itex]V[/itex] that are preserved by the operators [itex]\varphi(t)[/itex] and how to prove that [itex]\varphi[/itex] can't be decomposed into a direct sum [itex]\varphi = \varphi |_U \oplus \varphi |_{U'}[/itex] where [itex]U,U'\neq \{0\},V[/itex] are 2 [itex]\varphi[/itex]-invariant subpaces of [itex]V\neq U\oplus U'[/itex].

2. Relevant definitions

Let [itex](\varphi , V)[/itex] be a representation of a group [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]U \subset V[/itex] be a vector subspace of [itex]V[/itex]. Then [itex]U[/itex] is called [itex]\varphi[/itex]-invariant if for all [itex]u\in U, g\in G[/itex] we have [itex]\varphi(g)(u) \in U[/itex].

[itex](\varphi , V)[/itex] is called irreducible if the only [itex]\varphi[/itex]-invariant subspaces of [itex]V[/itex] are the trivial ones: [itex]\{0\}[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex].

[itex](\varphi , V)[/itex] is called decomposable if [itex]V=U\oplus U'[/itex] where [itex]U, U'[/itex] are [itex]\varphi[/itex]-invariant subspaces of [itex]V[/itex] such that [itex]U,U' \neq \{0\}, V[/itex]. Then [itex]\varphi = \varphi |_U \oplus \varphi |_{U'}[/itex] where [itex]\varphi |_U[/itex] is the restriction of [itex]\varphi[/itex] to the subspace [itex]U[/itex] etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

My answers for (a) and (b)

(a) [itex](\varphi , V)[/itex] is a representation of the group [itex](\mathbb{R},+)[/itex], for:

[itex]\varphi(s+t)(P) = P(x+s+t)[/itex]
    [itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\; = p_0 (x+s+t)^2 + p_1(x+s+t) + p_2[/itex]
    [itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\; = \varphi(t) ( p_0 (x+s)^2 + p_1(x+s)+p_2)[/itex]
    [itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\; = \varphi(t)(P(x+s))[/itex]
    [itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\; = \varphi(t)(\varphi(s)(P))[/itex]

so that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a homomorphism, hence a representation.

(b) The subspace [itex]U\subset V[/itex] consisting of all complex-valued polynomials [itex]Q(x) = q_0x+q_1[/itex] of degree at most 1 is a [itex]\varphi[/itex]-invariant subspace, for:

[itex]\varphi(t)(Q) = \varphi(t)(q_0x+q_1)[/itex]
    [itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\; = q_0(x+t) + q_1[/itex]
    [itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\; = q_0x + (q_0t+q_1) \in U[/itex]
    Moreover, [itex]U\neq \{0\}, V[/itex] so that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is not irreducible.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?