1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representations of lorentz group and transformations IN DETAIL!

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    From Peskin and Schroeder:
    The finite-dimentional representations of the rotation group correspond precisely to the allowed values for the angular momentum: integers or half integers.
    From the Lorentz commutation relations:
    [itex]\left[J^{\mu \nu},J^{\rho \sigma}\right]=i \left(g^{\nu \rho}J^{\mu \sigma}-g^{\mu \rho}J^{\nu \sigma}-g^{\nu \sigma}J^{\mu \rho}+g^{\mu \sigma}J^{\mu \rho}\right)[/itex]
    we can define rotations [itex]L^{i}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{ijk}J^{jk}[/itex] and boosts [itex]K^{i}=J^{0i}[/itex]. An infinitesimal Lorentz transformation can then be written [itex]\boldsymbol{\Phi}\rightarrow\left(1-i \boldsymbol{\theta}.\boldsymbol{L}-i \boldsymbol{\beta}.\boldsymbol{K}\right) \boldsymbol{\Phi}[/itex].
    The combinations [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{+}}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\boldsymbol{L}+i\boldsymbol{K}\right)[/itex] and [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{-}}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\boldsymbol{L}-i\boldsymbol{K}\right)[/itex] commute and satisfy the commutation relations of angular momentum.
    This implies that all finite dimensional representations of the Lorentz group correspond to pairs of integers or half integers, [itex]\left(j_{+},j_{-}\right)[/itex], corresponding to pairs of representations of the rotation group. Using the fact that [itex]\boldsymbol{J}=\boldsymbol{\sigma}/2[/itex] in the spin-1/2 representation of angular momentum, write explicitly the transformation according to the [itex]\left(\frac{1}{2},0\right)[/itex] and [itex]\left(0,\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex] representations of the Lorentz group. You should find these correspond precisely to the transformations for the Weyl spinors:
    [itex]\psi_{R,L}\rightarrow \left(i \boldsymbol{\theta}\!\frac{\boldsymbol{\sigma}}{2}\pm\boldsymbol{\beta}\!\frac{\boldsymbol{\sigma}}{2}\right)\psi_{R}[/itex].

I don't know how to answer the question as I don't understand some of the preamble, so I will try and motive the (colour-coded) sentances in detail, and I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me where my reasoning is incorrect:

The "representations of the Lorentz group" means the [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{+}}[/itex] and [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{-}}[/itex], as they satisfy the Lorentz commutation relations. Where it says "correspond to" pairs of integers or half integers, it means these representations (ie matrices) "produce the eigenvalues" denoted [itex]\left(j_{+},j_{-}\right)[/itex]. But why are they in pairs? Doesn't acting with one [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{+}}[/itex] or [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{-}}[/itex] produce one eigenvalue; [itex]j_{+}[/itex] or [itex]j_{-}[/itex]?
    The [itex]\left(j_{+},j_{-}\right)[/itex] correspond to representations of the rotation group means that there are some pairs of representations of the rotations group that will give the same [itex]\left(j_{+},j_{-}\right)[/itex] as eigenvalues. By "pairs of representations" they mean one representations will give [itex]j_{+}[/itex] and the other will give [itex]j_{-}[/itex].
    The [itex]\left(\frac{1}{2},0\right)[/itex] and [itex]\left(0,\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex] are spinors, ie a "reduced" representation of the Lorentz group. The designation of half integers seems somewhat arbitrary to me, I don't know what the significance of these numbers is...

To do the question I'm guessing I have to somehow relate [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{+}}[/itex] and [itex]\boldsymbol{J_{-}}[/itex] to [itex]\boldsymbol{J}[/itex] and replace [itex]\boldsymbol{\Phi}[/itex] in the infinitesimal Lorentz transformation with the spinors.
    But as shown there is some understanding missing, and I wouldn't really know what I'm doing.

Sorry for the excruciating detail, and many thanks to anyone that can help. If I haven't been clear or you think I should split this up into more than one post please let me know.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted