Representing a complex oscillating system

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the natural frequency and damping coefficient for an undamped inverted pendulum system. They are having trouble deriving these values from their initial equation and are wondering if they can use a different method to determine the values and then use them in the original equation to account for damping. It is mathematically correct to do so as the natural frequency is an intrinsic property of the system and does not change with damping, allowing for the calculation of the damping coefficient.
alaspina
Hello,

I have an equation relating the angular acceleration (d2Θ/dt2) of an undamped system to a forcing function and the an angular term (Θ). The system in question is an inverted pendulum. I know that such an oscillating system can be represented by the following function:

The problem is that in the derivation, some of the terms in F(t) and L are coupled. This means that finding zeta, and omega n (the natural frequency) is not straightforward as I would have to rewrite the equation. My question is, if I solve the coupled function I have now for angular acceleration and angular displacement, then match the curve to the function above where zeta is 0 (undamped), can I then use the coefficients I have found to rewrite my system with the equation above and determine how it acts under different zeta values?

I'll rewrite this in terms of a step by step procedure;1) I have a function (not the one above) that relates angular acceleration to angular displacement and a forcing function. This function DOES NOT have an angular velocity term

2) I want to derive natural frequency from the function; the problem is that unlike the equation above, F(t), the forcing function is not multiplied by the factor L/I (where I is the natural frequency and L is a moment arm length)

3) I solve my function over a given time step for angular acceleration and displacement, and then match my solution to one that matches that of the above function for given values of omega n (I already know what the L and I should be)

4) Will it be mathematically correct to then represent the system with the damping term using the given omega n value I have found from matching the two solutions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I hope this makes sense, thanks for any help.Yes, it is mathematically correct to use the omega n value you have found from matching the two solutions to represent the system with the damping term. This is because the omega n value is an intrinsic property of the system that does not change with damping. You can then use this value to calculate the damping coefficient (zeta) from the equation given above. The damping coefficient will then be used to determine the response of the system to the external forcing function.

1. What is a complex oscillating system?

A complex oscillating system refers to a system that exhibits periodic motion or behavior, often with multiple components or variables that interact with each other. This can include systems such as pendulums, electrical circuits, or biological systems.

2. How do you represent a complex oscillating system?

There are several ways to represent a complex oscillating system, depending on the specific system being studied. Some common methods include using mathematical equations, diagrams or graphs, and computer simulations.

3. What is the importance of representing a complex oscillating system?

Representing a complex oscillating system allows scientists to better understand its behavior and dynamics. This can help in predicting future outcomes, identifying patterns and relationships, and making improvements or optimizations to the system.

4. What challenges are associated with representing a complex oscillating system?

One of the main challenges in representing a complex oscillating system is accurately capturing all the variables and interactions within the system. This can be difficult due to the complexity and non-linear nature of these systems, as well as limitations in data collection and analysis techniques.

5. How can representing a complex oscillating system benefit society?

Studying and representing complex oscillating systems can lead to advancements in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. By understanding and manipulating these systems, we can develop more efficient and effective solutions that can improve our daily lives and benefit society as a whole.