Representing Points: Examples and Applications in Dynamics of Machines

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, representing points is a fundamental concept in dynamics of machines that allows for accurate description and analysis of motion. It is commonly used in various applications such as designing and analyzing mechanical systems, studying vibrations and control systems, and predicting the behavior of moving parts. Points are represented by symbols or coordinates and can help optimize machine design by identifying areas for improvement. However, there are limitations to this method as it assumes rigid bodies and does not consider factors like friction. It is best used in combination with other techniques for a complete understanding of a machine's behavior.
mech-eng
Hi, I have to find examples,application about points which represent a rigid body.In the lecture dynamics of machines we call them substantial points. the points have a mass which is equal to
rigid body for example a mechanism. to do this we use kinetic energy equalities.

1/2(ma*va2)=([itex]\sum(Ek)[/itex])i and 1/2 (ma *va^2)=∑(1/2 mi*vi^2 + 1/2*Ii*wi^2)

these two are the formulas: ma:(induced,reduced?) point A, mi: mass of the İth body(in the ∑ symbol), vi is the velocity of center of mass of the İth body, Ii is the moment of inertia of the ith body and wi is the angular velocity of the ith body.

we also study (reduced?) moment of inertia of the machine( for example a fourbar mechanism) to
a mile(or axle). here is the formula 1/2*I*w^2=∑1/2*mp*vp^2

here: I is the moment of inertia student has to find which represents I think all the kinetic energy
mp is the mass of pth body of the machine(or mechanism)

I want to make a google search about this but I don't know true words for this subject. Can you
help me. And have ever met this subject in the books about dynamics of machines I have never met with them in english books. at least reduced( or equivalent) momet of inertia part.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
my first question is about two or three mass models - two or three points which represents the rigid body
and second question is about generalized moment of inertia or reduced moment of inertia to a point, for example ,on the mechanism.

this is the picture of equation

Attachments

• equation of motion.png
    equation of motion.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 439

1. What is the purpose of representing points in dynamics of machines?

Representing points is a fundamental concept in the study of dynamics of machines. It allows us to accurately describe and analyze the motion of machines and their components. By representing points, we can apply mathematical principles and equations to predict and understand how machines will behave.

2. What are some common applications of representing points in dynamics of machines?

Representing points is used in a variety of applications in dynamics of machines, such as in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, studying vibrations and control systems, and predicting the behavior of moving parts in machines. It is also essential in the development of new machines and improving the performance of existing ones.

3. How are points represented in dynamics of machines?

In dynamics of machines, points are represented by symbols or coordinates that indicate their position in space. These points can represent various components of a machine, such as its center of mass, joints, or points of contact with other objects. They can also be used to represent forces and moments acting on a machine.

4. Can representing points help optimize machine design?

Yes, representing points is a crucial tool in optimizing machine design. By accurately representing the points and their motion, we can analyze and identify areas of improvement in a machine's design. This can help engineers make changes that can increase efficiency, reduce wear and tear, and improve overall performance.

5. Are there any limitations to representing points in dynamics of machines?

While representing points is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It assumes that machines and their components are rigid bodies, which may not always be accurate. It also does not consider factors such as friction, which can significantly affect the motion of a machine. Therefore, it is essential to use representing points in conjunction with other tools and techniques to get a complete understanding of a machine's behavior.