Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representing the little guy.

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This points out how our government usually just ignores the interest of the little guy. Luckily, in this uplifting story, we see that the small, usually ignored tomato and sodium lobbies are finally having their interests looked after. Too long have they be discriminated against in the recommendations of nutritionists. Sometimes, the system does work...

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ier-school-lunches-expensive-article-1.978339

:uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, John Stewart had a piece on this last night. Disgusting.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Well, just playing Devil's Advocate, is there anything about pizza sauce that should exclude it from being counted (nutritionally speaking) as a vegetable? Not that "sauce" is a vegetable, but if it contains one serving of vegetables then it seems fair to me.

Also, the article only says "tomato paste" is counted. From the article provided:
    However, in the US, tomato paste does not usually contain salt (granted there is a provision allowing for it):
    (Source: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/aprqtr/pdf/21cfr155.191.pdf)

Further, as to the point that healthier foods are more expensive and therefore cost prohibitive, I tend to disagree, but if you accept that as a fact, then isn't that sufficient reason not to include them in school lunches? As it is a "school lunch" is ridiculously subsidized. I ate my share of them all the way from elementary school to high school. We always had access to a calendar that told us what would be available to eat each day and were never "surprised" by french fries or pizzas. On rare occasions I would ask my mom for a sandwich in lieu of "mystery meat" day... or my mom might step in and provide snacks or an apple to supplement my meal.

I think it's really too much to ask our school cafeterias to take over the role of nutritional counsel for the children AND parents of America.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook