Reprocessed Uranium: Why Isn't US Doing This?

• Thread starter dyounger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranium
In summary, the policy act was enacted in 1982 in the US in an effort to create a centralized and safe repository for commercial spent fuel and high level radioactive waste. Unfortunately, the US government has not been able to implement this policy.
dyounger
How come this isn't done in the United States yet? Is it all political or is there a real reason we have not done this? I believe we started a facility to do this prior to Three Mile Island's accident, but I think we abandoned it ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So far reprocessed uranium costs more than natural one... when this changes, it would be a significant incentive for reprocessing.

Purely political - mostly by those who oppose nuclear power. This lack of US reprocessing gives an artificial argument against nuclear power (where do we store the waste?), while solving the problem removes this 'issue'. Other countries reprocess in a very safe way.

RocketSci5KN said:
Other countries reprocess in a very safe way.

Well, sort of. French reprocessing seems to be working well.

UK's plants are plagued by various issues, nothing horrible, but still. An undetected leak in the basement here, bad managenet and cost overrun there...

Russian reprocessing (and nuclear industry in general) is sub-par to the Western one - inexplicably, not many people take notice. I assume it's a part of stereotyping Russians as brave, but careless people, so "it's how you expect it to be done there".

To be exact: for many years reprocessing effluents were just dumped into rivers and lakes, to an extent which makes Hanford site looks spiky clean. For one, they had a huge underground waste tank explosion in 1957 - nothing anywhere near that ever happened in the West.

They eventually stopped crapping Cs-137 and Sr-90 all over their hapless population.

Yet, Mayak plant and environs must be quite a mess even today.

I don't know much about India's reprocessing plants. I assume it's not large-scale.

Japan did not start their first reprocessing plant yet.

Who else? China?

I don't count military reprocessing for the purposes of Pu extraction, so Pakistan is out.

To sum up, "Other countries reprocess in a very safe way" probably should read "France and UK reprocess in a very safe way".

Appreciate the clarification :-} Was thinking mostly of the French...

Utilization of reprocessed U, or Pu (in MOX), is more of a technological and economic matter, rather than political. The fuel fabrication (pellets and fuel rods, and to a lesser extent the assembly) must be handled remotely, and that is a problem for precision engineered products. Visual inspection is also problematic.

The US has significant U resources and enrichment capabilities, so fuel using reprocessed U or Pu is not economic.

The disposition of spent fuel, or the by-product (high level waste aka fission products) of reprocessing, is a political issue. The US government has failed to implement a repository for commercial spent fuel or HLW - in 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Waste_Policy_Act
http://cybercemetery.unt.edu/archiv...rs_blueribboncommissionwastepolicyhistory.pdf
http://www.bc.edu/dam/files/schools/law/lawreviews/journals/bcealr/28_1/05_TXT.htm
http://energy.gov/downloads/nuclear-waste-policy-act

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Utilization of reprocessed U, or Pu (in MOX), is more of a technological and economic matter, rather than political. The fuel fabrication (pellets and fuel rods, and to a lesser extent the assembly) must be handled remotely, and that is a problem for precision engineered products. Visual inspection is also problematic.

The US has significant U resources and enrichment capabilities, so fuel using reprocessed U or Pu is not economic.

Indeed, it is not profitable. *For now*.

For me, the most sensible policy would be to store spent fuel (dry storage), waiting for the inevitable time when its reprocessing will become profitable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the longer spent fuel is stored, the easier it will be to reporcess: a lot of nasty stuff would decay.
For example, 100-year old spent fuel has about 1000 times less Kr-85 and tritium than freshly unloaded one, and 10 times less Cs-137 and Sr-90.

So, to me it looks like storing fuel for a long time makes perfect economic sense. (OTOH, storing it *forever*, that it, disposing of it without reprocessing, does not).

1. What is reprocessed uranium?

Reprocessed uranium is a type of nuclear fuel that is created by extracting and purifying the unused uranium from spent nuclear fuel. This process allows for the reuse of uranium that would otherwise go to waste.

2. Why isn't the US using this technology?

The US currently does not have a reprocessing program in place due to concerns about the potential for nuclear proliferation and the high cost of implementing and maintaining the technology. Additionally, the US has enough natural uranium resources to meet its nuclear energy needs.

3. Is reprocessed uranium safe?

Reprocessed uranium is safe when handled and stored properly. It is subject to strict regulations and safety protocols to ensure that it does not pose a threat to human health or the environment. However, there are still concerns about the long-term storage of reprocessed uranium and its potential impact on the environment.

4. How does reprocessed uranium compare to other forms of nuclear fuel?

Reprocessed uranium has similar properties and energy output as natural uranium, making it a viable alternative for nuclear fuel. However, it is more expensive and requires specialized technology for its production and use. It also produces less waste compared to other forms of nuclear fuel, which makes it a more environmentally friendly option.

5. What are the potential benefits of using reprocessed uranium?

Reprocessed uranium has several potential benefits, including reducing the amount of nuclear waste produced, decreasing dependence on natural uranium resources, and potentially lowering the overall cost of nuclear energy production. It also has the potential to increase energy security and reduce carbon emissions compared to other forms of energy production.