Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Republicans, in retrospect, do you think Bush was the best candidate?

1. George Bush, Pres US, former Gov TX

16.7%
  2. Jeb Bush, Gov FL (all in the family?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor, NYC (anti-crime success)

16.7%
  4. John McCain, Sen AR (or Dem pres candidate?)

50.0%
  5. Bill Frist, Sen TN (Sen Majority Leader)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Colin Powell, Sec of State (election virgin)

8.3%
  7. Haley Barbour, Gov MS (CCC endorsement?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. George Hagel, Sen NE (critical of Iraq progress)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. George Pataki, Gov NY (cut taxes and budgets)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Richard Lugar, Sen IN (Chrmn Intel Committee)

8.3%
  1. Sep 16, 2004 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Equal time for both parties. If no incumbent, who do you wish were nominated as Republican candidate?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2
    McCain, Giuliani, Condie Rice or Powell, would be fine with me.

4. Sep 16, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who can vote here ?

My order : John McCain, Chuck Hagel, Rudi Giuliani, Colin Powell. (Condi nearer bottom than top)

PS : I lean liberally.

5. Sep 16, 2004 #4
    I'd vote McCain over most any Democrat. I feel that genuine Democratic leadership and genuine Republican leadership would both be good for America, the problem I see with most republicans is that they're not really consistant and don't actually follow what Republicans have historically believed.

6. Sep 16, 2004 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My choice was a toss-up between Giuliani and McCain (with Powell a close third - compare his pre-SOS positions and most of his current problems are due to being a 'team' player).

About the only two I wouldn't vote for are George Bush and Haley Barbour. Most have a few more positives than negatives (even Jeb).

7. Sep 16, 2004 #6
    I have been a registered Independent for years. I don't care to vote along Party Lines cause good ol' dad did. I prefer to vote for the candidate that seems most competent... in this poll I chose McCain. Powell has had a very questionable past, with his involvement in Iran~Contra under Reagan I just can't vote for him. His unwillingness to resign under George W Bush proves that he is a chamellion at best and worst.

McCain is probably the last honorable man in Washington. I am disappointed that he finally came out and publically supported Dubya...but then, this poll shows that he made a very savvy political decision.

8. Sep 16, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not the order in which I'd prefer them, but they are far and away my favorite high-end repubs right now.

9. Sep 16, 2004 #8
    Choosing what primary to vote in hardly means coting along party lines because of your father's choices. It's pretty rude of you to insinuate otherwise.

10. Sep 16, 2004 #9
    Just for clarification, that isn't my order either.

11. Sep 16, 2004 #10
    Easy tough guy...that statement is not meant as an insinuation at all... it's from an informal arm chair observation that MOST people do two things in common with their ancestors: Religion and politics.... you may not have followed your father's choices in either, I didn't with mine and my one son didn't with me either..... but most seem to. I have no data to support this, but it might make for an interesting poll just to see.

No offense intended to you or anyone else. I've been wrong before....I think.

Phil

12. Sep 16, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who's George Hagel ? Is that Sen. Chuck Hagel's real name or are these 2 different people ?

13. Sep 16, 2004 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I just voted for Lugar. I knew him in high school, and I can testify he is the smartest kid on the block.

14. Sep 16, 2004 #13
    Your son sounds like a bright young man. You should be proud.

15. Sep 16, 2004 #14
    Rice is one of your favorite Republicans? Regardless of party affiliation, she just scares me. Every picture I see of her she looks like she's plotting to violently disembowel someone.

By the way, it's shockingly refreshing to see this level of open dissent among republicans.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  16. Sep 16, 2004 #15
    John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Colin Powell

I think that John McCain would be an excellent president, because he works with both sides, which I think most, have forgotten that it takes both parties to do and run this country. McCain brings that Balance to both parties. Giuliani and Powell are on the same wave path that McCain is. The problem that I see with both sides is that they have forgotten that it is about Unity as a nation and that we need to stop working against each other and work together. It is really sad to see that the party lines are negative and so into the mudslinging!

Cheers,

Acidrain

17. Sep 16, 2004 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oops :uhh: Yes, it's Chuck Hagel. (Suffering from George Forman syndrome :rolleyes: )

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  18. Sep 16, 2004 #17
    You knew Lugar when he was Mayor of Indianapolis too? Are you also a Rhodes Scholar?

19. Sep 16, 2004 #18
    Ostensibly you mean the one who is voting for Dubya. No, I am very disappointed in him for his reasons...you see his fundamentalist Christian pastor told him that "W" is an honorable man, and a "good Christian," and that "W" actually made America safer by invading Iraq. If he had come to me (which he never need do by the way) and told me, Dad I'm voting for Dubya, and let me tell you why I would have listened. I would have countered with why I am not, but I honor their decisions. Its his pastor that really sticks in my craw. I had caught him in more lies that he was telling from his pulpit than I could ever count. I left that church and told my son why. He stayed, and I am sure that HE is getting something positive out of the experience, though I have yet to see it.

My own father was a total out and out Dem and Presbyterian..not me on both counts though when I told him that I had voted for Reagan in 1980 he went ballistic... but I told him I thought Reagan was a better choice....later, when I learned that he was falling asleep during his Cabinet mettings, and that mental midget Nancy was bringing in an astrologer to "chart their stars" on a regular basis, while he had his finger on the nuclear button...I realized I had made a terrible mistake. When the Afghanistan War finally brought down the Soviet Union I was shocked to learn that Reagan got credit for it, just like he did Cllinton's eight years of unprecedented prosperity. Like Bush did when he shifted the economic disasters of his first four years back to Clinton.

I don't expect you to be interested in this, but in case I am selling you short, I am working up a journal entry entitled, The Best Product Seldom Wins... like the Macinstosh that should be the number one selling computer in the free world instead we suffer the shortcomings of virtually every release of Windows... it always the best marketing that wins. Period. This is WHAT America is really all about. We perfected marketing and we have successfully exported it to every country on earth, except our REAL enemies, like North Korea, et al. Sorry, that just slipped out. "-) I guess I don't need to write that journal entry now either.

I voted for Lugar when he ran for Mayor of Indianapolis too. I also voted for him for his US Senate seat. He is very far to the right, but he has proven himself over the years. The only Republican I truly trust these days is John McCain. Like Kerry, McCain paid the price, unlike Kerry, McCain is someone I fully trust to be our President. I see McCain as perhaps the last honorable man in Washington. Should he get the nomination in the future, I will probably vote for him. I much prefer being Independent...your own observations in other posts out here hints at a similar observation. Our two party system, notably the Dems, is broken...both Parties have been broken for as long as I can remember. The fault lies not in party philosophies so much as it does in the inherent vulnerabilities of our republic... when these scoundrels can continue to dip into the public coffers and get away with it, the weakening of our government will continue. We can't last forever, you know. I hope that we can, but no great nation ever has.

One last thing.... not a particularly intelligent thought on my part, but I suspect you wouldn't argue that point with me anyway "-) At some point in this bold brave new world we have created in America, I wish we could find a way to roll back ALL court decisions ever made in all States, and in DC so that all we have left is the original Constitution with ALL existing amendments... then we could start all over again.... naive I know...but wouldn't it take the wind out of the lawyer's sails and the politicians in DC... utopian tomfoolry, and my name ain't Tom. It's more like, FOOL.

Anyway, more than you mentioned to me, and probably not particularly welcomed considering my past rude behavior with you...sorry for the intrusion and the past rudness.

Phil

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  20. Sep 16, 2004 #19

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've been real open about the fact that I don't much like Bush. I've expressed disgust that the Republican party torpedoed McCain in 2000. People like to assume other people fit into molds and it just isn't true on either side, for the most part.

21. Sep 16, 2004 #20
    I've not really seen much of that in however many months I've been coming here from your or anyone. Everyone's so damned polarized that every thread breaks down to like 6 people defending the republican party's beliefs/actions, and 6 people attacking them. I haven't really seen many of the Republicans here saying "You know, you're right, Bush's really been a huge failure economically, and is just a plain old idiot" or anything of the like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?