1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repulsion between two pith balls

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    i kinda need help. okay im posting my question:
    Two pith balls have a mass of 1.0g and have equal charges. One pith ball is suspended by an insulating thread. The other is attached to a static insulator and is brought close to the suspended ball so that they are 5 cm apart when repulsion occurs. After repulsion, they come to rest such that both are at the same height above ground. The suspended ball is now hanging with the thread forming a 30 degree angle with respect to its former position. Calculate the following:
    1-Force of weight of the suspended ball.
    2-The force of repulsion between the two. :confused: :confused:
    3-The net charge on each. :confused:
    I have no idea how to find out the force of repulsion and the net charge. We can find the weight my using the W=mg formula. So i'm confused with that. I need help :cry: . Thank God i found this cool forum
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start by drawing a force diagram. Since both balls are stationary you forces must all balance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?