1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repulsive force question

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    Hello. I'm new to the forum and I hope this is the correct place for this question. Would it be possible to lift a 200,000 lb rectangular object that is in motion using rare earth permanent magnets at each corner?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    Yes. Place a magnet under each corner and lift away.
  4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    Rofl. Or get big enough magnets and lift from the top.
  5. Jan 11, 2010 #4
  6. Jan 13, 2010 #5
    Thanks Bob. I will check that out.
  7. Jan 18, 2010 #6
    Hi Bob, Thanks again for your response. I checked out the calculator. My next question, being that the calculator dealt with attractive force, is the repulsive force of a magnet equal to the attractive force of a magnet?
  8. Jan 18, 2010 #7
    The repulsive force of two same-polarity magnet poles is due to the spacial-derivative of the total magnetic energy (magnetic energy density integrated over all space):

W = 1/2 ∫B·H dVvolume

The force along x is then

Fx = dW/dx

This is the same force that attracts a magnet to a steel plate, at least it is calculated in a similar way.

Bob S
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook