Understanding the Repulsive Strong Force and its Role in Nucleons and Quarks

In summary, the strong force is responsible for holding nucleons together in the nucleus, but it becomes weaker at very short ranges. This is because of the difference between the fundamental strong force between quarks and the effective strong force between hadrons. There is some debate about whether there is a repulsive core in the effective strong force, but it is not necessary to prevent the nucleus from collapsing.
JZR
Hi,

I have been taught at school that the strong force is responsible for holding the nucleons together in the nucleus but becomes repulsive below about 1.5 femtometres. I now read that the strong force is also responsible for holding the quarks together inside the nucleons, although the diameter of a proton or neutron is less than 1.5fm so surely the strong force should be repulsive not attractive?

Can someone please explain what is really happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see this is your first post.
Until you establish yourself around here don't be surprised if you don't get many responses.
You will get more responses once you establish that you are really here to learn and not just stir up trouble and controversy.
until then you would probably be better off asking more conventional questions first.

I have been taught at school that the strong force is responsible for holding the nucleons together in the nucleus but becomes repulsive below about 1.5 femtometres.
This doesn't sound right. It is weaker at very short ranges, but not repulsive.

The confusion is between the fundamental strong force between quarks and the effective strong force between hadrons.

What is the difference between the fundamental strong force and effective strong force?

To vastly oversimplify, the fundamental strong force is the force gluing the quarks together into neutrons and protons. The effective strong force is a remnant of this interaction that can bind neutrons and protons together into nuclei. I've seen the effective strong force compared to the van der Waals forces between molecules, if that helps you visualize it. Both protons and neutrons are uncharged (neutral) under the fundamental strong force.

Wikipedia calls the "fundamental strong force" the "strong interaction" and the "effective strong force" the "nuclear force":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_interaction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_force

PS. bcrowell wrote a nice explanation of the force between nucleons here.

Last edited:
Thank you, I think i will have to wait until i can do a degree in physics to fully comprehend it all

Is there any truth in what I was taught at school about the strong force being repulsive below 1.5fm? I think the reason our teachers gave us was that it was to prevent the nucleus collapsing in on itself.

I was too slow in adding to my previous post a link to a nice explanation of this issue by bcrowell. To summarize it very briefly, models of the "effective nuclear force" that include short-range repulsion tend to fit the data better than those that are purely attractive. However, the fact that nuclei don't collapse does not imply that there must be such a "repulsive core".

daschaich said:
I was too slow in adding to my previous post a link to a nice explanation of this issue by bcrowell. To summarize it very briefly, models of the "effective nuclear force" that include short-range repulsion tend to fit the data better than those that are purely attractive. However, the fact that nuclei don't collapse does not imply that there must be such a "repulsive core".

Yes. Here's the last part of that post for those that don't want to read.

"Relatively sophisticated models of the nucleon-nucleon interaction do usually include repulsion under certain circumstances, e.g., there may be a "hard core" in the potential at short ranges. The fact that all such models seem to do a better job of reproducing certain data when the repulsive features are turned on suggests that this repulsive feature is model-independent. "

What this says to me, is that repulsive features in models SOMETIMES work better than those without. And vice versa. I guess it's still up in the air.

1. What is the repulsive strong force?

The repulsive strong force, also known as the strong nuclear force, is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is responsible for binding the protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus together.

2. How does the repulsive strong force differ from the attractive strong force?

The repulsive strong force is the opposite of the attractive strong force. While the attractive force holds particles together, the repulsive force pushes them apart. This is due to the fact that the particles involved have the same charge, causing them to repel each other.

3. What is the range of the repulsive strong force?

The range of the repulsive strong force is extremely short, only about 10^-15 meters. This is because it is a strong force and is only effective at very short distances between particles.

4. How does the repulsive strong force contribute to atomic stability?

The repulsive strong force plays a crucial role in atomic stability. It is responsible for balancing the attractive electromagnetic force between protons in the nucleus, preventing them from collapsing into each other and causing the atom to become unstable.

5. Can the repulsive strong force be observed in everyday life?

No, the repulsive strong force is not observable in everyday life due to its extremely short range. It is only observed in the interactions of subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, within the nucleus of an atom.