Can House Plumbing be Repurposed for Sustainable Living?

• Plumbing
  • Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary: Beer on tap.And cold too.What a great prank! It's a good thing they didn't test the toilets. That would have been a waste of good beer.An Italian town has now topped this by causing ~1000 L of wine (Lambrusco Grasparossa) from a local winery to flow into the houseold plumbing of about 20 local homes for about 3 hours. In summary, the pranksters in an Italian town caused 1000L of wine to flow into the home's plumbing for about 3 hours. The pranksters were Australian, and the wine was Lambrusco Grasparossa.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The Brits may be the World's Best at this.

• Haha
Likes gmax137, Greg Bernhardt, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Those guys are nuts.
Beer on tap.
And cold too.

Likes Spinnor
What a great prank! It's a good thing they didn't test the toilets. That would have been a waste of good beer.

An Italian town has now topped this by causing ~1000 L of wine (Lambrusco Grasparossa) from a local winery to flow into the houseold plumbing of about 20 local homes for about 3 hours.
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 10.09.09 AM.png

CNN story here.

Likes jrmichler
Anachronist said:
What a great prank! It's a good thing they didn't test the toilets. That would have been a waste of good beer.

Cutting out the 'middle man.'

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Summary:: The Brits may be the World's Best at this.
Surely these guys are Australian.

Likes BillTre
Looks like it poured pretty well too!

Reminds me - I was at the home of a guy in our home-brew club, and he had multi-tap kegerator in the garage. He is a great brewer. Well, I go to rinse my glass at his kitchen sink, and his wife says "Oh, Billy put in the faucet and it's reversed, turn to the left for cold, right for hot". I said "If Billy plumbed it, I'm surprised beer doesn't come out of it!"

Likes BillTre
Merlin3189 said:
Surely these guys are Australian.
Judging by the accents, Australians and New Zealanders.
The English would have plumbed it on the hot water side, to keep the beer warm.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, NTL2009 and BillTre
I did wonder about Kiwis. I went to a couple of sites with Aus/NZ accent coaches, but was still unsure.
I know in Aus they do have these crawl spaces under their houses, at least in Queensland.
I tend to think of Kiwis as more like us - a bit more uptight and not likely to do something like that.

I nearly just said antipodeans, but since many readers are not UK based, they might not know where that is!

My house in Eugene, Oregon, in the US, has a very similar crawl space.
I have seen them in a lot of other places in the US, so does not seem definitive to me.
Although my house plumbing is older and therefore look different, the materials and plumbing fittings in the video are just like the more modern ones I have seen in supply stores around here.

On the accents, I defer to those who are more expert on the subject.

Yes. I guess this (external access crawl space) maybe a common feature of wooden houses. So I've never seen one here in UK.
I was trying to discriminate only between Aus and NZ. NZ seems more like UK - cold and wet! - so maybe more solid brick building and concrete slab bases?

Both countries span a large range of latitude, so climate will not identify it. Wood framed houses with weather board cladding are common in both. The NZ accents are mild which suggests Australia, but a reference is made to a nearby suburb which sounded Maori = NZ.

The vehicle rego would help. I didn't recognise the brand of beer logo, due to my lack of experience in that field.

Since a group were getting together for the “game”, I guess they were going to watch a sporting event on TV there later, which helps justify the effort by all involved. I would guess it was an international rugby union match involving the All_Blacks.nz or Wallabies.au, hence the plumbing conversion from R-718 to ale.

BillTre said:
Summary:: The Brits may be the World's Best at this.
I missed this when first posted. That video is hilarious! What a great bunch of guys, not just to think of the prank but to actually see it thru.

Likes BillTre
I haven't watched the video but Tui is a New Zealand brand.

1. What is repurposing house plumbing?

Repurposing house plumbing involves taking existing plumbing systems in a house and modifying them for a different purpose. This can include using plumbing pipes and fixtures for alternative functions such as irrigation, rainwater harvesting, or even creating a DIY water feature.

2. Is it safe to repurpose house plumbing?

In most cases, repurposing house plumbing is safe as long as it is done correctly and with the necessary precautions. It is important to consult a professional plumber or do thorough research before attempting any repurposing projects to ensure the safety of your plumbing system and your home.

3. What are the benefits of repurposing house plumbing?

Repurposing house plumbing can have several benefits, including reducing water usage and saving money on utility bills. It can also be a more environmentally friendly option by utilizing existing resources instead of buying new materials. Additionally, repurposing plumbing can add unique and creative features to your home.

4. What are some common ways to repurpose house plumbing?

There are many ways to repurpose house plumbing, depending on your needs and creativity. Some common ways include using pipes for irrigation systems, creating a greywater system for watering plants, or using old fixtures for a DIY water feature. You can also repurpose plumbing for non-water-related functions, such as using pipes as curtain rods or towel racks.

5. Can I repurpose house plumbing on my own?

While some repurposing projects may be suitable for DIY, it is always recommended to consult a professional plumber before making any modifications to your plumbing system. They can provide expert advice and ensure that the repurposing is done safely and correctly. It is also essential to follow any local building codes and regulations when repurposing house plumbing.