1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requency for a photon emitted from a hydrogen atom

1. May 3, 2005 #1
    I am having some trouble w/ a take home Physics final.

I am down to my last 2 questions:

1) What is the frequency for a photon emitted from a hydrogen atom when an electron makes a transition from an energy state n=3 to n=1? What is the energy of the photon in Joules and MeV?

2) A positron and an electron collide and annihilate each other. Since all of each of masses was converted into energy, how much energy was released in Joules?

All the help/direction you can give would be much appreciated. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1) The energy of an electron in an atom depends on the energy state he's in. The energy of the fundamental level (n=1) is -13.6 eV. Find the energy of n=3 in your book. You are told the electron jumps from the energy of n=3 to the energy of n = 1. Now according to the principle of conservation of energy, that energy must have gone somewhere: in the photon. The frequency of a photon is related to its energy according to [itex]E = h\nu[/itex]

2) They just want to know the energy associated with the masses of the electron and positron. Use E = mc².
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?