Request about experiments on the linear-motion Faraday paradox

In summary, the Faraday paradox is a curious phenomenon in the topic of relative motion, and an experiment demonstrating its effects can be found in a video. The linear version of the paradox has also been explored, with expectedly different results from the rotational scenario. The transition from linear to rotational motion and vice versa is of interest and experiments have been conducted to explain why these two scenarios produce different results. However, the results of these transitional experiments are yet to be determined. The process of measuring voltage or generating electricity in this phenomenon involves a closed circuit, and the expression for voltage can be simplified using Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force. It has been determined that the linear version of the Faraday paradox
olgerm said:
after the disc breaks its pieces must get only füther and füther from each other as time passes. EMF is not directed to center of disc, but crosswise to it if time from breaking approaces infinity. polarizing effects lack to exist as time from breaking approaches infinity.
But it becomes linear straightaway when it breaks though. Straightaway.

Physics news on Phys.org
olgerm said:
E,B,v are different in different frames of reference, but meaningful(frame invariant) claims same in all frames of reference. E,B,v are different in frames of reference, where linear generator is in rest and where it is moving, but whether it is generating power or not is same in both frames of reference.

But it doesn't explain why use the angular velocity when the LFL depends on linear velocity.

artis said:
if the disc breaks into pieces then each individual piece effectively becomes a small linear faraday generator because even a single electron rotating above a homogeneous B field experiences the Lorentz force and would be deflected sideways and the same thing happens in a conducting element being dragged through a B field at 90 degree angle which is essentially the Faraday disc.

Again the physics to the best of my knowledge does not change whether in the rotational or linear scenario.

But let's say the conductor and the magnet are moving together, at the same speed.

In the rest frame, no Lorentz force. But in the moving frame, you might expect a Lorentz force. Some people argue that there is an induced electric field that counters the magnetic force in the moving frame.

But then you might wonder why this doesn't apply to the rotational case.

Hence the request for transitional experiments.

greswd said:
But it becomes linear straightaway when it breaks though. Straightaway.
Yes, but EMF approxes zero over time. Pieces are moving, in this case, relative to magnet. That is why this may produce EMF, but linear generator, where circut moves with magnet would not.

greswd said:
But it doesn't explain why use the angular velocity when the LFL depends on linear velocity.
What is LFL?

greswd said:
But let's say the conductor and the magnet are moving together, at the same speed.
In the rest frame, no Lorentz force. But in the moving frame, you might expect a Lorentz force. Some people argue that there is an induced electric field that counters the magnetic force in the moving frame.
post #68 explains exactly that.

olgerm said:
Yes, but EMF approxes zero over time. Pieces are moving, in this case, relative to magnet. That is why this may produce EMF, but linear generator, where circut moves with magnet would not.
But what about the disc getting polarized when disc and magnet rotate together?
olgerm said:
What is LFL?
Lorentz Force Law
olgerm said:
post #68 explains exactly that.
But the point I'm making is:
greswd said:

Hence the request for transitional experiments.

greswd said:
But what about the disc getting polarized when disc and magnet rotate together?
rotational faraday generator works if disc rotates with magnet. What about it?

greswd said:
Because realtions I assumed in post #68 are not valid in rotational case(like ##(\vec{v}\cdot \nabla)\vec{B}=\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}##)

it doesn't matter whether the magnet is moving together (physically attached to the conductor) or conductor simply moving through a homogeneous B field created by a stationary magnet, as long as the conductor cuts B field lines the result is the same and it's the same for both rotating circular discs as well as flat linearly moving pieces of conductor, same rules apply , in all cases to get useful current there needs to be relative motion between conductor and current pickup circuit.

I feel the OP has some sort of confusion with regards to the matter.

artis said:
it doesn't matter whether the magnet is moving together (physically attached to the conductor) or conductor simply moving through a homogeneous B field created by a stationary magnet, as long as the conductor cuts B field lines the result is the same and it's the same for both rotating circular discs as well as flat linearly moving pieces of conductor
If magnet moves lineary together with circuit, then the circuit does not produce EMF.

sure , that is what I said , but if magnet moves linearly together with conductor and the circuit that closes the loop moves with a different speed then there is current in the loop, well there should be.

greswd said:

@olgerm just a reminder, thanks

artis said:
sure , that is what I said , but if magnet moves linearly together with conductor and the circuit that closes the loop moves with a different speed then there is current in the loop, well there should be.

but what about when we ignore circuits and just focus on polarization within the conductor, which I've mentioned a few times

well I think there is polarization , charged particles experience a force when they move through a magnetic field , any magnetic field for that matter.

But I haven't done any such experiments nor measured the polarization so then you would have to ask people with experience