1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Request for help - math problem using binary code

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1

I have math question that I am struggling with that apparently can be solved using code (or reasoning - I tried that and mine didn't work. GO figure :confused: ). Can anyone help me out?

Here is the question:

A coffee club with 8 membres meet every MOnday Wednesday and Friday. At eahc meeting, 4 people sit inside at a table and 4 people sit outside. IS it possible in the course of a week, for each member to be inside at least once, outside at least once, and be at teh same table at least once with wach of the other 7 members?

Thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2
    Nice question :) But ithink it is impossible because:
    Let's name this eight people from 1 to 8

IN OUT
    First day: 1234 5678 - A Standard Beginning(Changing places wont make a difference as numbers can be changed too...)

Second D: Assume that we need to make only 2 people(In my sol. they are 1 and 5) meet each people and go both inside and outside, we would just replace them to meet most people and this would be 5234(I)-1678(O)

Third D.: Now we must make 1 and 5 meet each other and lets put them like this
    1537 - 2468(There are two contradictions 1st: Its asymmetric, it cant be a solution, there is no sense in putting 1 and 5 to inside not outside(symmetry in solutions for problems like this is VERY Important) and 2nd: 2-7, 4-7, 3-6, 3-8 havent met)

Another solution trial:(two-to-two meeting system-doesnt works again)
    (By this System, we make two people groups like 12, 34... and have only 4 elements)
    1st Day:1234(I)-5678(O)
    2nd Day:1256(I)-3478(O) (Now we have just 12-78 and 34-56 left)
    3rd Day: 3456(I)-1278(O) (All people met; however 7 and 8 has never gone inside)
    (The weird thing here is there is no symmetry(Why 7 and 8) and this makes me think im doing a mistake somewhere...)
    (Any explanations to this would be great-just mail me if you have any comments)
  4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    I tried exactly what you tried, and to no avail. (switching two people at a time and moving one person at a time) I feel like it may be impossible, but by the way my prof was talking in class, it sounded like there was a solution! Hmmm....
    He did mention using binary code and pigeon hole principle but I am at a loss as to how to use those (both pretty knew concepts for me, so don't fully understand how to apply to problem!)
    Thank you for you help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?