What can a retired technician teach us about electronics and physics?

• Thread starter Y2keddie
  • Start date
In summary, a retired technician can teach us a great deal about electronics and physics through their years of experience and knowledge. They can provide valuable insights and practical tips on troubleshooting, repairing, and designing electronic devices. Additionally, their understanding of physics principles can help us better comprehend the inner workings of these devices and how to improve their functionality. With their expertise, retired technicians can guide us in developing a deeper understanding of the intersection between electronics and physics, and how these fields work together to create the technology we use in our daily lives.
Y2keddie
Unlike most of you I am not formally educated. (I have some college).I’m 69 years of age and retired. I’ve always had an interest in Electronics, Electrical and Physics in general. My technical background was gained mostly from many years of hands-on work experience.

I started out working in HF radio repair in the Army 1970’s,
Then in the glass industry: hf induction heating pinsealers for attaching shadow-masks on crt’s, and log extruders for catalytic converters used in automobiles.

I worked in R&D and mfg of Image Tubes used for GEODSS,Trident missile, B-2 , als0 Direct View Storage tubes. 1980’s .

Then in the 1990’s, my career shifted to the Natural Gas Industry where I worked in Automaton & Power Electrical: with Reciprocating and Gas Turbine engines, Gas Measurement, Dehydration, and various gas cleaning. Proces’s, 25 years service, now retired.

I can now say I learned enough to be dangerous.
Now that my eyes,and body are becoming useless, I reminice of the days of my youth. I’m looking back on many of the processes I was involved with and am trying to fill some mental gaps.
I’m done working for money, I love learning, building, and experimenting for the shear joy.

It is my hope that on some level I can share some of the things I’ve learned; maybe with my grandson’s,their friends, and others, hoping to inspire their thirst for science, as well as learn myself from members of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Y2keddie said:
I can now say I learned enough to be dangerous.
:dademyday::welcome: