Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requesting a New IP Address

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    I was attempting to acquire a new IP for my computer and ran into a little snag.

I opened the DOS promp and used...

ipconfig /flushdns

Which worked fine but then when I entered..

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

I get the message...

no operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected

Does anyone know what this is? I've looked for solutions but all of the persons who had issues with this were unable to connect to their wireless router so the solutions were aimed at that issue. I'm able to connect to the router just fine.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2
    Did you try flushing the DHCP records ing the router admin area?
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    Nope. I'm not all that computer literate, just enough to get by.
    Would I have to be connected directly to the router or could I do that through my browser while connected wirelessly?
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4
    What brand and model router do you have?
  6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    Linksys WRT54G
  7. Nov 21, 2008 #6
    Alright, this is quite a common issue with frequently XP/Vista system, basically what occur were that the OS decided to hitch the NIC and will not detect it, so you can reboot it and however this will only reset your private IP address and not the public IP address.

Public IP Address are determined and assigned to you by your ISP
    Private IP Address is determined by your DHCP/Static IP Server (most commonly, the router)

Hope I was of some help.
  8. Nov 21, 2008 #7
    Open your routers cofiguration (usually done be typing it's IP address into your browser URL bar, find the IP address in your routers instruction manual)

Make sure your router is also acting as a DHCP server. (should be a checkbox somewhere), if it is. all you need to do is type ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew in you command prompt.

If it is still not working, unplug your router for 30 seconds, reboot your computer, then turn everything back on and try it again.

If your having trouble connecting to the Internet, I would contact your ISP, sometimes your ISP will give you specific instructions on how to connect (sometimes means typing in some information into the PPPoE section on your routers configuration).
  9. Dec 9, 2008 #8
    HI I would like to know how to check other´s IP for example from a mail of a person its bottering me

How i can do that
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  10. Dec 9, 2008 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't - the TCP packet will only have the IP address of the last machine it passed through, in this case your mail server.
    The mail header may list the sending mail server and any intermediate ones but ultimately only the senders ISP have their IP address. Remember it is very easy to fake a sender's email.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  11. Dec 9, 2008 #10
    So there is no way that i can see who is it but no mather if i can see the server i can talk to it a see who has that IP but i need to know how to see if i have the mail of a person

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?