1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requesting Help On Academic/Career Planning!

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    Hello. I am a senior in high school who is looking for some guidance deciding on what would best suit my interests. Currently, I do research in quantitative biology and biomedical engineering at Vanderbilt University. I have worked on robotics competitions and I am the president of a robotics club at my school.

I would like to work with a national lab, NASA, or something along those lines in the future.

I definitely enjoy doing physics and I feel that it is very interesting and cool. I took AP Physics B, but only made a 4 on the exam. I am not necessarily the best a physics, but I do think it is one subject that I would be willing to work on to no end in order to become more competent. Currently, I am taking AP Physics C, AP Calculus AB, and AP Computer Science. I have also taken AP Environmental Science (5) and AP English Language (5).

But is it wise to become a physics major? What if I don't want to get a Phd? If not, can I get a job. I am looking to have a steady income.

I am also interested in engineering, but I have yet to find and engineering discipline that really strikes me. I am hoping that some members on this forum could help me decide what fields of engineering could be good for me based on the following:
    Would hope to work in a lab setting in government, university, or even industry.
    Would like to have a degree that has a wide scope.
    Not very hands-on oriented.
    Would provide some good pay and financial stability while also being intellectually stimulating.

In summary, I think that physics would be incredibly interesting, but I also believe that engineering could be the same (given that I figure out what field is best for me). I am looking for guidance and opinions on what I should major in, the level of degree I should attain, and other career/academic guidance.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted