Physics block speeds problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of a 1.0-kg block released from rest at the top of a curved frictionless track. The speeds of the block at points A and B are calculated to be 11.7 m/s and 7.7 m/s respectively, and the distance from point C where the block will come to rest is found to be 18 meters. The maximum static friction is calculated to be 4.9N, and it is clarified that the coefficient used is for kinetic friction, not static friction.
Physicsit
Ok I have been workoing on this problem for at least a couple of hours with no luck

A 1.0-kg block is released from rest at the top of a curved fric-tionless track as shown in the figure below. (a) What are the speeds of the block at points A and B? (b) If the block goes on a level surface at point C with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.50, how far from point C will the block come to rest?

Attached is a graphical representation

Here is what I did so far

KE =1/2mv^2
M= 1.0 kg
V= ?
Wsubg= mgh

For point A
Final Kinetic energy = KEInitial - W subg
W sub g = mgh 1.0 X 9.8 X 2.0
Kfinal = 20

20-1/2(1.0)v^2
40= v^2
v= 6.3 m/s that is v of point a

for point b
Initial kenetic = 20

W sub g = mgh 1.0 X 9.8 X 6.0
final kentic = 60-20=40

40=1/2(1.0)v^2
80=v^2
v 8.9 m/s for point b

I then calculated the maximum static firction
using the coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.50
mg X coefficient friction

1.0X9.8X.50=4.9N

that is the maximum force that can be exerted wihtout the objectmoving

but I do not know how to claculate how far from point C will the block come to rest

I do not know if I did the first three parts correct either

I have been at this for a while now over 2 hours

I desperatley need help any advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

• ph13.jpg
    ph13.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is what I did so far

KE =1/2mv^2
M= 1.0 kg
V= ?
Wsubg= mgh

Since the object is at rest initially, V= 0 and the potential energy is 1(9.8)(9)= 88.2 Joules

For point A
W sub g = mgh 1.0 X 9.8 X 2.0
Kfinal = 20

Why? I assume the "20" is an approximation to 19.8 which is 9.8*2. That's the potential energy not the kinetic energy.

At point A, the object's height is 2 so its potential energy is
1(9.8)(2)= 19.6 Joules. That's a decrease of 88.2- 19.6= 68.6 Joules which must have gone into kinetic energy: (1/2)(1)v2= 68.6 so v= 11.7 m/s.

for point b
Initial kenetic = 20

W sub g = mgh 1.0 X 9.8 X 6.0
final kentic = 60-20=40

You're going the right way but without friction the total energy is still the potential energy at the start: 88.2 Joules. At point B the height is 6 meters so its potential energy is 1(9.8)6= 58.8 Joules (you round off to 60). That's a change (from the INITIAL point) of 88.2- 58.8= 29.4 Joules. We must have (1/2)(1)v2= 29.4 or
v= 7.7 m/s at point B.

Finally, at C, the height is 0 so potential energy (relative to 0 height of course) is 0. The 88.2 Joules of energy is now all kinetic energy: (1/2)(1)v2= 88.2 so v= 13.3 m/s.

I then calculated the maximum static firction
using the coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.50
mg X coefficient friction

1.0X9.8X.50=4.9N

that is the maximum force that can be exerted wihtout the objectmoving

No, your calculation is correct but 0.5 is the coefficient of KINETIC friction, not static friction! Since friction is imposing a force of 4.9 N, we have f= ma or -4.9= (1.0)a. The acceleration is
-4.9 m/s2. At that acceleration the object slows from 13.3 m/s to 0 m/s in (v= at) 13.3/4.9= 2.7 seconds. Of course,
x= v0 t- (a/2) t2 so x= (13.3)(2.7)- (4.9/2)(2.7)2= 18 meters.

Clarification

One quick question before I get started

Since the object is at rest initially, V= 0 and the potential energy is 1(9.8)(9)= 88.2 Joules

why is it times 9 and not times 10 if initial height is 10?

1. What is the "Physics block speeds problem"?

The "Physics block speeds problem" is a question that involves a block sliding down a ramp and calculating its speed at different points along the ramp. It is commonly used in physics classes to test students' understanding of concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and gravity.

2. How do you solve the Physics block speeds problem?

To solve the Physics block speeds problem, you must first draw a diagram of the situation and label all relevant variables. Then, you can use equations such as the kinematic equations to calculate the speed of the block at different points along the ramp.

3. What factors affect the speed of the block in the Physics block speeds problem?

The speed of the block in the Physics block speeds problem is affected by several factors, including the angle of the ramp, the mass of the block, the force of gravity, and the presence of any friction or air resistance.

4. Can the Physics block speeds problem be solved using only theoretical calculations?

Yes, the Physics block speeds problem can be solved using only theoretical calculations. However, in real-world situations, there are often other factors that may affect the speed of the block, such as the surface of the ramp or the imperfections in the block itself.

5. Why is the Physics block speeds problem important?

The Physics block speeds problem is important because it helps us understand and apply fundamental concepts in physics, such as motion, forces, and energy. It also allows us to make predictions and calculate outcomes in real-world scenarios, such as the movement of objects down inclines or ramps.