1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Require help

1. Dec 12, 2006 #1
    In an investigation of a physics problem, I ran into the following equation:

d^2(y)/(dt)^2 = k * y * (y^2 + c)^-1.5

I know how to solve separable first order differential equations but this one seems to be beyond me. Assistance?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2006 #2
    hmm I don't think that one can be solved analytically, can you settle for a numeric answer?

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3
    Well, one thing you can do is multiply by y prime

[tex]y^{\prime} y^{\prime \prime} = \frac{k y y^{\prime}}{(y^2 + c)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

and then integrate to get

[tex] \frac{1}{2} y^{\prime 2} = - \frac{k}{\sqrt{y^2 + c}} + A [/tex]

where A is a constant of integration.

You can then square root the y prime square, pull over all the y stuff on one side (and integrate again) to get x as some horrendous integral in y.

i.e.,

[tex]x = \int{\frac{dy}{\sqrt{2(A- \frac{k}{\sqrt{y^2 + c}})}}} [/tex]

or rather

[tex]x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \int{\sqrt{\frac{\sqrt{y^2 +c}}{A \sqrt{y^2 +c} - k }} dy} [/tex]

Other than that, I dunno.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  5. Dec 13, 2006 #4
    That looks intractable. I expected there to be a "clean" or closed (or whatever you call it) solution. This equation arose from me trying to plot the position of a point mass in a field generated by another point mass. The y is the vertical position (the reference point mass is at the origin and is stationary).

6. Dec 13, 2006 #5
    With the use of a clever substitution, it may yet be soluble. You never know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?