Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requirements for fission

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    So I think, as a rule of thumb that for fission to be possible [itex]\frac{Z^2}{A}[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]47

I want to be able to derive this relationship though..

If a nucleus deforms into an ellipsoid, its surface area can be described by

4[itex]\pi[/itex]R2(1+[itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex][itex]\epsilon^2[/itex] + ...) call this X

And its Coulomb energy can be described as

[itex]\frac{3Z^2}{20\pi\epsilon_0R}[/itex](1-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex][itex]\epsilon^2[/itex] + ...) call this Y

And so ΔBE = X-Y

For fission to occur set ΔBE ≤ 0

Once I've done all this I'm not sure how to get ΔBE in terms of A and Z only. I know R = r0A1/3

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2
    I should mention that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is an arbitrary deformation parameter associated with the ellipsoid and can be factored out

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can use that formula for R and solve for ##\frac{\partial (X-Y)}{\partial \epsilon}=0##.
    I would expect that this overestimates the required Z^2/A - if that derivative is negative, the nucleus should not form at all or decay within less than a femtosecond.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook