What is the relationship between nucleus deformation and fission requirements?

• Thread starter mitch_1211
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fission
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of fission and the relationship between the nuclear deformation, surface area, and Coulomb energy. The formula for the surface area and Coulomb energy are given and the condition for fission to occur is set. The conversation ends with a mention of using a formula to solve for the required Z^2/A and the possibility of overestimation.
mitch_1211
So I think, as a rule of thumb that for fission to be possible [itex]\frac{Z^2}{A}[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]47

I want to be able to derive this relationship though..

If a nucleus deforms into an ellipsoid, its surface area can be described by

4[itex]\pi[/itex]R2(1+[itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex][itex]\epsilon^2[/itex] + ...) call this X

And its Coulomb energy can be described as

[itex]\frac{3Z^2}{20\pi\epsilon_0R}[/itex](1-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex][itex]\epsilon^2[/itex] + ...) call this Y

And so ΔBE = X-Y

For fission to occur set ΔBE ≤ 0

Once I've done all this I'm not sure how to get ΔBE in terms of A and Z only. I know R = r0A1/3

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I should mention that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is an arbitrary deformation parameter associated with the ellipsoid and can be factored out

You can use that formula for R and solve for ##\frac{\partial (X-Y)}{\partial \epsilon}=0##.
I would expect that this overestimates the required Z^2/A - if that derivative is negative, the nucleus should not form at all or decay within less than a femtosecond.

1. What is fission?

Fission is a nuclear reaction in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. What are the requirements for fission to occur?

The two main requirements for fission to occur are a critical mass of fissile material (such as uranium or plutonium) and a source of neutrons to initiate the reaction.

3. How is fission used in nuclear power plants?

In nuclear power plants, fission is used to generate heat, which is then used to produce steam and turn turbines to generate electricity.

4. What are the safety precautions for handling fission reactions?

Some safety precautions for handling fission reactions include using shielding materials to protect against radiation, maintaining strict control and monitoring of the reaction, and having emergency response plans in place.

5. What are the potential risks associated with fission reactions?

The main potential risks associated with fission reactions are the release of radioactive materials and the possibility of a nuclear meltdown, which can have severe consequences for human health and the environment. Proper safety measures and regulations are in place to mitigate these risks.