What are the requirements for SVD to work?

• Thread starter spookyfw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Svd Work
In summary: I think you're right, chiro, that Cholesky Decomposition is quicker. That's what I used in the first instance. I've tried the SVD but it's taking a lot longer than Cholesky Decomposition.In summary, the problem is that there is too little information to solve for A00, B00 and C00.
spookyfw
Dear fellows,

during my internship I've stumbled over a problem of analysis. To cut things short some pseudoinverses have to be calculated. For one of them it does not work, s.t. A'*A [itex]\neq[/itex] I.

I just wondered about the requirements to find a pseudoinverse. One of the eigenvalues is zero, but as far as I understand that eigenvalues different than zero are not a requirement.

The matrix under consideration is that one:

A = [1 -1 0; 1 0 -1; 0 -1 1; 0 -1 1];

If anyone could help me that would be really great :).

Cheers and thank you very much in advance,
spookyfw

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey spookyfw and welcome to the forums.

I just took a look at the Moore-Penrose pseudo-inverse from a grad linear algebra book and for that pseudo-inverse, the relation ship is that BAB = A and ABA = B.

Are you using this one or some other one?

Hi chiro,

thank you very much for your reply. Yes I am using the Moore-Penrose pseudo-inverse. Actually the original problem can be seen in the attached picture. After using the pseudo-inverses it is stated that only the first three systems have a solution, but that there is too little information to solve for A00, B00 and C00. When I am multiplying with the pseudo-inverses I get the unitary matrix on the left hand side, but for the last system. So I wondered how that is related to the last one not having a solution and what the reasoning is. I thought about independence, but there is also row-degeneracy in the matrix of the first system.

I hope that this still makes sense. Any idea?
spookyfw

Attachments

• equ.PNG
    equ.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 477
I'm wondering just as a curiosity, whether you have tried using a least squares approach to get some kind of reference for your solutions?

hmm..what do you mean by that least square approach? I just wanted to check a solution, I just don't understand the mathematical reason why the last system cannot be solved for A00, B00 and C00.
How would you go about the least square approach though?

Thank you very much. I think I spotted the problem with the matrix, as for square-matrices the Moore-Penrose inverse needs independent vectors, but unfortunately there is two dependent column vectors. At first sight I just spotted degenerate row vectors, but of course there has to be dependent ones with a 4x3.

Hi spookyfw,

I'm a bit rusty on this now, but I believe SVD requires the matrix to be positive definite. That's probably true for any procedure based on Spectral Decomposition.

Sorry, it's Cholesky Decomposition that requires the matrix to be positive definite. In that case, Cholesky Decomposition is far quicker to arrive at a result. The SVD is especially sensitive to a large variation in the range of cells values. Very small numbers can wreak havoc with the results.

1. What is SVD and how does it work?

SVD stands for Singular Value Decomposition and it is a mathematical technique used for matrix factorization. It decomposes a matrix into three separate matrices, which helps in understanding the underlying structure of the original matrix.

2. What are the requirements for SVD to work?

In order for SVD to work, the matrix must be square or rectangular with full column rank, meaning that all columns are linearly independent. This means that there are no redundant or dependent columns in the matrix.

3. Can SVD be applied to any type of matrix?

Yes, SVD can be applied to any type of matrix, including rectangular, sparse, and non-square matrices. However, it is most commonly used for square or rectangular matrices with numerical values.

4. How does SVD help in data analysis?

SVD is useful in data analysis as it can reduce the dimensionality of a dataset by identifying and removing the most important features or patterns in the data. This can help in simplifying complex datasets and making them easier to interpret.

5. Are there any limitations to using SVD?

One limitation of SVD is that it can be computationally expensive for large datasets, as it involves matrix operations that can be time-consuming. Additionally, SVD may not always provide the most interpretable results, as the decomposed matrices may not directly correspond to meaningful features in the original data.