Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Resampling data with errors

1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    I need to resample a set of data and its errors linearly in log space, with the same number of points. I was just going to interpolate between points to get the data - but how do I calculate the errors?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2
    what do you mean with "resample" if then you talk about interpolating them?

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3
    If you're interpolating data points, why not interpolate their errors? The errors produce two additional sets of data points above/below the original data. Treat them the same way you're treating your original data.

I assume the "data" are from a numerical simulation? Otherwise it is probably not legit to interpolate experimental errors.

5. Apr 15, 2017 #4
    Its experimental errors in astronomy in a spectra. It seems to be quite a commonly done thing - rebinning from linear wavelength to logarithmic whilst maintaining the overall signal to noise. Given that it is "non legit" I should have probably asked in the physics rather than maths forum!

For example I have done it using this IRAF package. http://drforum.gemini.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/README.txt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted