1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rescore in GRE

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering what was the general consensus on getting a rescore on the analytic writing part for the general GREs. Do people who get the rescore tend to get a better score? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks,
    LX

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
    Do you have any reason to believe that the first score wasn't fair? I kind of doubt that the scores would change much between readers because the readers use a rubric and your essay is read by two people who each give a score. If the scores are too far apart, then a third reader will decide the score so its a standard procedure. Also if the scores tended to improve on rescoring then everyone would do it.

I think most science/engineering programs are willing to overlook a bad writing score.

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3

EdH

Really? Then that would be good news for me. As I have always been more computer, math and sci based in interests and grade results about a 3.5 gpa. I writing I am about a 2.7 gpa student.

But what kind of result are you both talking about. (Thanks Inadvance) -Ed.H

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4
    The average writing score for engineers is a 4.2 which is the average (I think) so aim to get that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?