Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rescore in GRE

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering what was the general consensus on getting a rescore on the analytic writing part for the general GREs. Do people who get the rescore tend to get a better score? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks,
    LX

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
    Do you have any reason to believe that the first score wasn't fair? I kind of doubt that the scores would change much between readers because the readers use a rubric and your essay is read by two people who each give a score. If the scores are too far apart, then a third reader will decide the score so its a standard procedure. Also if the scores tended to improve on rescoring then everyone would do it.

I think most science/engineering programs are willing to overlook a bad writing score.

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3

EdH

Really? Then that would be good news for me. As I have always been more computer, math and sci based in interests and grade results about a 3.5 gpa. I writing I am about a 2.7 gpa student.

But what kind of result are you both talking about. (Thanks Inadvance) -Ed.H

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4
    The average writing score for engineers is a 4.2 which is the average (I think) so aim to get that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook