Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rescue injured baby deer, go to jail

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This had better not go to court.

Continued...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...me-saving-130022946--abc-news-topstories.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2
    I agree it's a tragic waste of time. Let's focus on the real bad guys!

4. Jan 31, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Never violate the prime directive!

5. Jan 31, 2013 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

WT...

6. Jan 31, 2013 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So it's OK for a police officer to break the law for two years, just because he feels like it?

But the whole story doesn't make any sense from a UK point of view - the right thing to do over here would be rescue the deer from any immediate danger, and hand it over to the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) to be looked after professionally, not by a well-meaning amateur.

7. Jan 31, 2013 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It's an old story here.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2007/09/18/bambi-vs-the-bureaucrats.html

8. Jan 31, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

They're prosecuting these nice people for saving a wounded deer? Funny here I was thinking good deeds were above the law...silly me.

9. Jan 31, 2013 #8
    I just think it's bizarre that somebody would rescue a wounded deer instead of just putting it out of its misery. Where I'm from, deer are looked upon like giant, tasty rats.

10. Feb 1, 2013 #9

russ_watters

I guess I kind of assumed that shooting injured wildlife - deer especially - would be part of police officer training.

Still, not something worthy of an arrest: just fine him.

11. Feb 1, 2013 #10

russ_watters

12. Feb 1, 2013 #11
    You would think this would be a waste of police time what with sex-offenders and murderers running around.

13. Feb 1, 2013 #12

FlexGunship

Gold Member

It's weird that you know that YouTube has "a bunch" of these videos.

14. Feb 1, 2013 #13
    Wow, I didn't know that the Department of Natural Resources went after sex-offenders. :rolleyes:

15. Feb 1, 2013 #14

russ_watters

Why? Have you never been on YouTube? Once you look at one video of something, a bunch more similar ones pop up in the side pane next to the video.

16. Feb 1, 2013 #15
    Guess I should pay more attention next time. This is shaping up to be a weird day as I've had to save face on more than one occasion, when I'm usually pretty good at fact-gathering and "knowing my stuff" before I talk about something. Still, my main point that it is a waste of time holds true, in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  17. Feb 1, 2013 #16

Evo

It's ridiculous to spend tax payer money on pursuing these people through court just because they ticked off the DNR guy when the deer managed to escape the day it was scheduled to die. That's what it all comes down to. If they had let the guy kill the little deer, it would have been over.

Kudos to these people.

18. Feb 1, 2013 #17

turbo

Gold Member

The Maine Wildlife Service (called Fish and Game at the time) was well-aware of the activities of an elderly couple in the Greenville area. They had fed over-wintering deer outside, then on their porch, and then in their house, where the deer could warm up while eating their lunch. No charges, no fines. One of my closest friends was the chief of the Maine Warden Service, and while he was not a fan of feeding herds of deer in cold weather, he could not have had the heart to deprive these old folks of something that pleased them so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook