Rescue injured baby deer, go to jail

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I mean these nice people for rescuing the deer, but it's a waste of time and money to pursue these charges.In summary, the police officer and his wife were charged with unlawful possession of a deer, a misdemeanor that punished to its fullest extent could put the Councellers in jail for up to 60 days and cost them up to $2,000 in fines. The couple rescued the deer more than two years ago after finding it on their neighbor's porch. The Councellers said the deer had sustained injuries, and they wanted to nurse it back to health. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources wanted to euthanize Dani, saying she might be dangerous and a threat to people. The couple said an Indiana Conservation Officer stopped by
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This had better not go to court.

Jeff Counceller, a police officer in Connersville, and his wife were charged with unlawful possession of a deer, a misdemeanor that punished to its fullest extent could put the Councellers in jail for up to 60 days and cost them up to $2,000 in fines.

The couple rescued the deer more than two years ago after finding it on their neighbor's porch. The Councellers said the deer had sustained injuries, and they wanted to nurse it back to health.

"I could feel all of the open wounds all along her back side and she wouldn't stand up," Jennifer Counceller told ABC News.

They brought the deer home and named her Little Orphan Dani.

The Councellers said an Indiana Conservation Officer stopped by their home and discovered the deer this past summer. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources wanted to euthanize Dani, saying she might be dangerous and a threat to people.
Continued...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...me-saving-130022946--abc-news-topstories.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Never violate the prime directive!

WT...

So it's OK for a police officer to break the law for two years, just because he feels like it?

But the whole story doesn't make any sense from a UK point of view - the right thing to do over here would be rescue the deer from any immediate danger, and hand it over to the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) to be looked after professionally, not by a well-meaning amateur.

It's an old story here.
Bambi vs. the Bureaucrats

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2007/09/18/bambi-vs-the-bureaucrats.html

This isn't the first time a kind-hearted, misguided Oregonian has tried to heed the call of the wild. Last year, an 11-year-old girl in the coastal city of Waldport suffered a bruised skull and jaw after the deer her family had adopted after it was hit by a car decided to turn on the child, pinning her against a fence. And in 2005, state officials discovered a black bear in the home of a Roseburg man. The bear had been living there for years, it turns out, eating people food, even sleeping in a bed made for humans. A dozen times in the past year and a half, Hargrave says, state officials have had to remove wild animals from people's homes.

They're prosecuting these nice people for saving a wounded deer? Funny here I was thinking good deeds were above the law...silly me.

I just think it's bizarre that somebody would rescue a wounded deer instead of just putting it out of its misery. Where I'm from, deer are looked upon like giant, tasty rats.

I guess I kind of assumed that shooting injured wildlife - deer especially - would be part of police officer training.

Still, not something worthy of an arrest: just fine him.

nsaspook said:
It's an old story here.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2007/09/18/bambi-vs-the-bureaucrats.html
People are dumb. They think that just because deer look cute in animated Disney movies, they aren't just like any other wild animal. YouTube has a bunch of videos of people giggling while filming Fido playing with a deer -- until the deer has enough and stomps Fido to death.

You would think this would be a waste of police time what with sex-offenders and murderers running around.

russ_watters said:
YouTube has a bunch of videos of people giggling while filming Fido playing with a deer -- until the deer has enough and stomps Fido to death.

It's weird that you know that YouTube has "a bunch" of these videos.

FreeMitya said:
You would think this would be a waste of police time what with sex-offenders and murderers running around.

Wow, I didn't know that the Department of Natural Resources went after sex-offenders. :rolleyes:

FlexGunship said:
It's weird that you know that YouTube has "a bunch" of these videos.
Why? Have you never been on YouTube? Once you look at one video of something, a bunch more similar ones pop up in the side pane next to the video.

Jack21222 said:
Wow, I didn't know that the Department of Natural Resources went after sex-offenders. :rolleyes:

Guess I should pay more attention next time. This is shaping up to be a weird day as I've had to save face on more than one occasion, when I'm usually pretty good at fact-gathering and "knowing my stuff" before I talk about something. Still, my main point that it is a waste of time holds true, in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous to spend tax payer money on pursuing these people through court just because they ticked off the DNR guy when the deer managed to escape the day it was scheduled to die. That's what it all comes down to. If they had let the guy kill the little deer, it would have been over.

Kudos to these people.

The Maine Wildlife Service (called Fish and Game at the time) was well-aware of the activities of an elderly couple in the Greenville area. They had fed over-wintering deer outside, then on their porch, and then in their house, where the deer could warm up while eating their lunch. No charges, no fines. One of my closest friends was the chief of the Maine Warden Service, and while he was not a fan of feeding herds of deer in cold weather, he could not have had the heart to deprive these old folks of something that pleased them so.

1. Why would someone go to jail for rescuing an injured baby deer?

In most cases, it is illegal to possess or care for any wild animal without the proper permits and licenses. This includes injured or orphaned animals, such as a baby deer. The reason for this law is to protect both the animal and the public, as wild animals can carry diseases and may pose a danger if they are not properly rehabilitated and released back into their natural habitat.

2. Can't someone just call a wildlife rehabilitation center instead of risking jail time?

Yes, it is always best to contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitation center if you come across an injured or orphaned animal. These professionals have the necessary training and permits to safely care for and release wild animals back into their natural environment. They also have the proper facilities and resources to provide the animal with the best chance of survival.

3. What if the baby deer is in immediate danger and needs immediate help?

In situations where an animal is in immediate danger, such as being trapped or injured, it is recommended to contact your local animal control or wildlife agency. These organizations are equipped to handle emergency situations and can provide assistance without risking legal consequences.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law against rescuing injured wildlife?

Some states may have specific laws that allow for the rescue and care of certain species of wildlife, such as deer or birds, under certain circumstances. However, it is important to research and understand the laws and regulations in your area before taking any action.

5. What should I do if I witness someone rescuing an injured baby deer and I am concerned about their actions?

If you believe someone is breaking the law by rescuing an injured baby deer, it is best to report the incident to your local wildlife agency or law enforcement. They can investigate the situation and ensure that the animal is being properly cared for and that the individual is abiding by the laws and regulations in place.