Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research about the sun.

1. Jun 29, 2007 #1
    Hi. I'm really not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I'm sorry. Anyway, here's the thing: I'm doing research for a fantasy novel I'm writing. I know virtually nothing about any kind of science, so I need help with the following question: if the sun were to rise in the west and set in the east, what would change in the world? Assuming that the sun has always done so, of course. Would the length of days or years change? How would it effect the moon, or would it make more sense that the moon would rise and set on opposite horizons as well? I'm sorry if I sound unintelligent, but like I said, I'm not profiecient at science at all. If anyone could help me out, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,
    Johnna

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only difference would be that the Earth is rotating the opposite way on its axis to what it is now. It would probably make more sense that the moon was opposite as well. It would also be possible if instead of north being designated the way it is today, if we thought of south as north then the sun would rise in the west and set in the east.

So overall theres not much difference. What difference did you expect?

4. Jun 30, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would think that you would get a change in the convective currents around the planet and thus wind patterns. I would also assume that the jet stream would be effected.

Would it mean moss would only grow on the south side of trees?

5. Jun 30, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Either way it sounds thrilling for a fantasy novel.

6. Jun 30, 2007 #5
    Cyclone fences would have to be replaced with anticyclone fences.

7. Jun 30, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

IIRC, all we have to do is watch Superman where he gets the Earth to rotate backwards to save Lois Lane. We already have the answer.

8. Jun 30, 2007 #7
    Speaking of which, why didn't he just hustle when he was chasing the two rockets?

9. Jun 30, 2007 #8
    Thanks to everyone for replying. As for what I expected to be different, I'm not sure, but I have to do all the research to be completely sure of everything, or else my book won't make sense if I leave something out. Anyway, thank you all very much for your help, and I'll be sure to watch Superman to further my research. ;)

--Johnna

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?