Research and design a model hovercraft

In summary, the conversation is about building a model hovercraft for a geometry and trigonometry class. The participants discuss different materials and techniques for constructing the hovercraft, as well as the math involved in its design. They mention the importance of understanding concepts like Bernoulli's equation and cushion loading. They also discuss the challenges of maneuvering a hovercraft and the necessary skills and experience. The conversation ends with one participant thanking everyone for their help and another mentioning their struggles with understanding the Bernoulli equation in relation to the hovercraft.
steph6009
as a project for my geometry and trigononometry class i have to research and design a model hovercraft, i have been researching but all i seem to find are the instructions for how to build a model without the use of any math or stuff that is just way too complicated. Can anyone suggest whereabouts to start looking for "simple" math involved in hovercrafts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres a reason why the math isn't simple. Hovercraft are rather complicated things.

Why make a model? Wow them and make a rideable hovercraft :approve: I did one with some friends and the help of the physics teacher in grade 10. First of all, we made it circular, for stability. I think it was about 4 ft in diameter but it might have been a bit less. We made the skirt out of some strong material I forget what it was called though, lol, a lot of help I am. For the edges of the skirt we wrapped it onto the topside and then stapled it. However there is a trick, because with just staples it will tear through the skirt. So first, duct-tape the skirt to the hovercraft, and (well, we actually duct-taped the entire skirt to make it stronger) then staple it. The duct-tape will prevent the staples from tearing through. Make sure there are holes in the skirt placed specifically in the bottom. They allow for air to escap, but not too big of holes, remember, you can always make them bigger, making them smaller isn't as easy. Duct-tape the edges to these holes as well so they don't tear. We used 2 leaf-blower's for our air source and they were sufficient power to even hover my friend who is...well, he weighs more than the avg person his age.

I'm not sure about the math involved...we just used very basic math to figure out where the holes should be. Hope this gives u some ideas though.

-Jon

I don't have time to look for the formulae right now, but the simplest ones are actually mentioned earlier in PF (I can't remember which forum). You might be able to figure them out just by knowing what you need to find. Probably the least difficult is to get your cushion loading, which is the total weight of the craft divided by the surface area within the curtain. That will tell you how many psi of air you need to supply in order to float the load. You'll also need to know what flow-rate of fan you have to use in order to produce that pressure. You can always get away with using one that's too big, because curtain leakage will bleed off the excess. The fan characteristics will in turn determine how strong a motor you need to run it.
One thing that makes a big difference is just knowing what you mean by a 'model'. An upside-down pie pan with a PC cooling fan in it doesn't require any calculations at all; a perfect 1/4 scale model of an English Channel hoverferry would be horrendous.

thanks evry1

just wanted to say thanks, u've been heaps of help. I'm now looking at propellor equations to determine length of the fans and air pressure

:)

Hovercrafts are interesting vehicles, gently floating about a surface with minimal friction and only some interaction now and there.

*Just curious, are they sometimes "more difficult" to maneuver than other types of ships? Do they require more skill/experience to navigate/steer/maneuver?

bomba923 said:
*Just curious, are they sometimes "more difficult" to maneuver than other types of ships? Do they require more skill/experience to navigate/steer/maneuver?
They're definitely more difficult to control in the sense that you have to anticipate what you want to do long before it has to be done. Reactions are much slower than a ground vehicle or airplane, because there's no interaction with the ground or air for manoeuvrability. It's like sliding on ice. The skill required is no greater or less than for most vehicles, but experience is very important since the skills are different.

yes knowing what i need to find has definitely helped

i am looking at the bernoulli equation right now but still seems rather complex more physicsy than mathsy surprising considering its a math assignment

You learn about bernoulli in high school over in WA?? What are you finding hard to understand about bernoulli?

bernoulli equation

uhm basically i am teaching myself the bernoulli equation because of its connection with the hovercraft...i think i kinda get it in relatio to hang gliders in such but am having trouble connecting it with the different aspects of the hovercraft

1. What materials are needed to build a model hovercraft?

The materials needed to build a model hovercraft include a motor, a fan, a battery, a remote control, a lightweight base material such as foam or balsa wood, and a waterproof sealant.

2. How does a hovercraft work?

A hovercraft works by using a motor to power a fan that pushes air underneath the craft, creating a cushion of air that lifts the craft off the ground. The air then escapes through small openings around the edges of the craft, creating a downward force that allows the craft to hover.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a model hovercraft?

When designing a model hovercraft, factors such as weight, balance, and air flow are important to consider. The craft should be lightweight enough to be lifted by the cushion of air, but also balanced to prevent it from tipping over. The fan should also be powerful enough to create sufficient air flow to lift the craft.

4. Can a model hovercraft be controlled remotely?

Yes, a model hovercraft can be controlled remotely with the use of a remote control. The remote control operates the motor, allowing the user to control the speed and direction of the craft.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when operating a model hovercraft?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions that should be taken when operating a model hovercraft. It is important to only operate the craft in open areas away from people or objects. The fan can also be a potential hazard, so it is recommended to wear protective gear, such as goggles, when operating the craft. Additionally, the battery should be handled carefully and not overcharged to avoid any potential fire hazards.