1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research Depth vs Breadth

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1
    Do physics graduate programs have any preference of working with a single professor for several semesters or working with several different professors each for just a semester or two?

Is it disadvantageous to stay with one professor for your entire undergraduate career?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How much and how long do you expect to actually work with a professor as undergrad in physics? And how long do you plan to stay an undergraduate?

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3
    I have worked with a specific professor for two semesters. I plan to work with him two more, unless I also do my honors project/thesis with him, which could be another semester or two (total of 4-6 semesters, 2-3 years).

As for how much, each semester I take 3 credits of research if that gives you an idea.

I am also working (full time) with a different prof at my hometown university over the summer.

I plan to be an undergrad for 8 semesters total (4 years).

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't even know which country you are talking about.
    Here in Germany you usually take courses for ~2-3 years with little contact to actual research (maybe something like a summer student program), then you start working on the thesis in the group of a professor. Afterwards the BSc thesis is the most important research-related work, for things done earlier it is not important where you did them.

6. Nov 4, 2015 #5
    I see. It was ignorant of me to forget to say that I go to an American university. My apologies.
    In that case though, someone from the US may be a better source since grad schools look for research throughout your undergrad.
    Does anyone in America know the answer to my original question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook