1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research for a story

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm researching for a story I'm writing and while not terrible at math I don't know the formulas needed, so I could use some help.

A car traveling north weights 3600 pounds, moving at 55 miles per hour changed lanes and strikes a motorcyclist weighting 550 (375 of vehicle, 175 of driver) pounds moving at 100 miles per hour also traveling north.

What's the force of impact the car would have on the motorcyclist, how far would the motorcyclist fly before hitting the ground, how long would the motorcyclist be in the air (if starting 3 feet off the ground), what is the force of impact the motorcyclist would have when hitting the ground, and how far might the motorcyclist might travel along the ground (if it were flat grass)?

I know there are probably a lot of variables here and that exact answers might not be feasible, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2
    There's no hard & fast rules for situations like these, it's dependant on what car, what bike, what direction the bike is moving (even a 2 degree difference means alot) I appreciate however that you want an accurate assessment but my advice would be just to go within the boarders of realism (i.e not the biker flying 50 foot backward :P). From a personal point of view, i could probably see the biker hitting the dashboard dependant on the car, and the bike getting crushed, but don't take my word for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook