Research ideas for a 16 year old in mathematics and computer science?

In summary, a 16-year-old high school student is looking for research ideas in the fields of mathematics and computer science. They are struggling to come up with an idea and are wondering if anyone has suggestions. Some potential ideas include studying projective geometry, spherical trigonometry, conic sections, or building a traffic simulator or solar system simulation using programming. The student apologizes for any language barriers.
geekkid
First of all, hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum, although I've been visiting it on a daily basis for a few months already, without an account.
I'm a 16 year old high school sophmore, and I'm required to complete a research project in 7 months from now. I'm very interested in mathematics, computer science so i thought i'd like to do my research in one or the other, but the problem is that i can't come up with an idea. What is there to research for a 16 year old in those subjects. I mean, I't seems quite unlikely that i could make a mathematical hypothesis and then write a proof for it orsth.
So my question is: have you got any research ideas i could do ?

PS: I've a hard time expressing myself in English because English is not my native language, so I'm sorry if you don't quite understand my post.
Thank You !

Physics news on Phys.org
What do they expect of you?

Do they expect that you come up with a novel new idea and proof it?? That would be quite hard.

Do they expect that you study a theory, make some exercises, apply the theory and then make some exercises on it?

An idea is to study projective geometry. This is a very elegant mathematical theory and it's useful in computer science (graphics and stuff).

Spherical trigonometry is also quite nice. Maybe you can use that to build some kind of model for the Earth in your computer?? You might also want to find the diameter of the Earth using simple materials.

Studying conic sections is also quite nice. It has a lot of applications. For example, you can use it to build a parabolic mirror that lights something on fire. (maybe this is too farfetched...)

Maybe you can do something more programming related: build a traffic simulator on pc? Or simulate the solar system??

1. What is the purpose of research for high school students?

Research for high school students serves multiple purposes, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, preparing students for college-level research, and encouraging curiosity and knowledge-seeking.

2. What are some common methods used in high school research?

Some common methods used in high school research include surveys, experiments, interviews, and observations. Students may also use secondary sources such as books, articles, and online databases to gather information.

3. How can I choose a research topic for high school?

Choosing a research topic for high school can be a daunting task, but it's important to choose something that interests you. Consider current events, your personal experiences, or a subject you want to learn more about. It's also helpful to discuss potential topics with your teacher or peers.

4. How can I ensure my research is ethical?

Ethical research is crucial, and high school students should follow the same principles as professional scientists. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants, protecting their confidentiality, and avoiding plagiarism or falsifying data. It's also important to follow any school or district guidelines for research projects.

5. How can I effectively present my research findings?

Effective presentation of research findings involves organizing your information in a clear and logical manner, using visual aids such as charts or graphs, and citing your sources. It's also important to practice your presentation and be prepared to answer questions from your audience.