Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research for hydrogen technology

1. May 12, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What companies have the most money invested into hydrogen technology or are doing the most research on it? Does anyone really know?

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect the answer is rather hard to come by, but it's evident that all the big oil companies are investing heavily into renewables. If renewables are to power the world in years to come, it's only natural that the current fuel suppliers want to be part of it.

Anyway, I'm really bored, so I chose to have a quick look at BP (since they're so keen to point out that BP now stands for Beyond Petroleum), and found a few snippets:

According to BP's own website, BP is spending and investing more than US$500 million over 3 years in the development of solar, wind and hydrogen. I can't quite find out exactly which 3 years those are! BP also claims to currently produce 1300 tonnes of high-grade hydrogen daily, and three times this amount at a lower grade. Admittedly, this pales in comparison with their daily production of other fuels, but I suppose they only make what they've got demand for and can't rely on supplier push to increase market demand.

World Petroleum.org says "BP’s spending alone on hydrogen technologies is put at $100 million a year".

4. May 12, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/related.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?