Research in Physics: Combining Programming & Publishing

In summary: Thread locked.You are a physics graduate who has spent two years researching dark energy and dark matter without any success in writing a research paper. You have a strong interest in writing and publishing research papers and are wondering if there is an area of physics that combines your interests in physics and computer programming. Despite having a masters degree in physics, it seems that you may not have enough experience to write research papers on your own at this point.
direct99
I am a physics graduate and I have just spent two years researching about problems like dark energy and dark matter and didn't get anywhere, did not even manage to write a single research paper. I like writing and publishing research papers as many as I can because they give me the feeling of a accomplishment and they could help me get a job or scholarship or research grant... or something. Recently, I realized that the reason I didn't get anywhere because these are very complex problems and even scientist working in the field don't fully understand them. What I am interested in is physics and computer programming, so is there an area of physics that requires the use of computer programming. I mean writing a computer model and publishing that in a journal.

Physics news on Phys.org
direct99 said:
I am a physics graduate and I have just spent two years researching about problems like dark energy and dark matter and didn't get anywhere, did not even manage to write a single research paper. I like writing and publishing research papers as many as I can because they give me the feeling of a accomplishment and they could help me get a job or scholarship or research grant... or something. Recently, I realized that the reason I didn't get anywhere because these are very complex problems and even scientist working in the field don't fully understand them. What I am interested in is physics and computer programming, so is there an area of physics that requires the use of computer programming. I mean writing a computer model and publishing that in a journal.

This is very puzzling.

What are you doing for a living? Are you doing these "research" on your own? What is your highest degree in physics? ("a physics graduate" doesn't actually tell much).

Zz.

I am doing research on my own and I have masters degree in physics.

I'm not sure what a masters degree entails in your part of the world, but 2-1/2 years ago you were asking questions that would be typical for a 1st year college student, or earlier. Typically one only writes research papers, particularly on his or her own, after many more years of study.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure what a masters degree entails in your part of the world, but 2-1/2 years ago you were asking questions that would be typical for a 1st year college student, or earlier. Typically one only writes research papers, particularly on his or her own, after many more years of study.

I am just using my friend's account to ask a question and I have a MSc degree in physics its a four year course, three for undergraduate course and one for Masters course.

Please use your own account. PF Rules do not permit sharing accounts.

What is the purpose of combining programming and publishing in physics research?

The purpose of combining programming and publishing in physics research is to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of data analysis and interpretation. By utilizing programming languages, researchers can automate tasks, perform complex calculations, and visualize data in a more efficient manner. Publishing these codes alongside research articles allows for transparency and reproducibility, allowing other scientists to verify and build upon the research.

What are some common programming languages used in physics research?

Some common programming languages used in physics research are Python, MATLAB, and C++. These languages are popular due to their versatility, ease of use, and availability of scientific libraries and tools. They also allow for faster data processing and analysis compared to traditional methods.

How does combining programming and publishing benefit the scientific community?

Combining programming and publishing benefits the scientific community by promoting open science and collaboration. By publishing research codes, other scientists can easily replicate and build upon the results, leading to more reliable and robust findings. It also allows for the development of new methods and techniques, leading to advancements in the field of physics.

Are there any challenges with combining programming and publishing in physics research?

One challenge of combining programming and publishing in physics research is the lack of standardization and documentation of codes. This can make it difficult for other researchers to understand and use the codes. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with different programming languages and versions, leading to errors or inconsistencies in the results.

How can researchers ensure the quality and reliability of published codes?

To ensure the quality and reliability of published codes, researchers can follow best practices for code development, such as proper documentation, testing, and version control. They can also make use of online repositories and platforms, such as GitHub, for code sharing and collaboration. Peer review and reproducibility testing can also help to validate the codes and ensure their accuracy.