1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research in Physics

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    I have no research work in physics but i want please help me what i do?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then struggle for it.

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Imtiaz,

You have to give people more information if you expect someone to help you. What is your background? Are you a high school student? A graduate student trying to decide on a project? What kind of research are you interested in in?

5. Feb 8, 2016 #4
    i'm student of physics and master in physics from pakistan university and i want to publish a paper, i'm intrested in electronics, solid state and atomic

6. Feb 8, 2016 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you currently working on a master's degree? If so, then this is something that you need to discuss with your supervisor.

Normally, you write a manuscript when you have brought a project to a point where you have something significant to share with the community of other scientists who are working on that project. For most inexperienced students the details of the process are difficult to grasp, which is why you normally start out with a mentor (supervisor) to guide you through it.

If you're not a student - eg. you have finished your master's degree and you're looking to add a publication or two to your CV, it would still help tremendously to have a mentor guide you through the process, so you should look for opportunities to do research with someone. I know that's not easy.

7. Feb 8, 2016 #6
    i finish my degree

8. Feb 8, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In my environment, the earliest academic stage in which you can have an opportunity for scientific publication is by the end of your master degree. So, not being able to publish in your current state is not a big trouble. But having passion and ambition is also important.
    However, the number of publications is actually also to be measured with your long term goal. Active engagement in researches, which is officially documented in the published papers, is definitely important when one aims to find a position in academia, either in university or research labs. On the other hand, if one wants to pursue carrier in companies or any other commercial oriented establishments, the working experience like practicum is valued more in front of the employers. So, in the end it depends on which carrier path you are going to pursue.
    My advice in case you want to go to academia, you can still have plenty of time to do researches and publish it in PhD and postdoc afterwards. These two stages typically take at least 5 years in total. In finding destination for PhDs, try to find research groups which actively do researches, e.g. find in their website when was the last time they published - did they publish at all in the last 2 years?. I don't know it is in Pakistan in that regard, you know more than us about it.

9. Feb 9, 2016 #8
    in pakistan those websites open only in universities

10. Feb 9, 2016 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean only those who are connected to the intranet of the university can access the university's website? The university's website are not open for public?

11. Feb 10, 2016 #10
  12. Feb 10, 2016 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook