1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research Interests

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    I am applying for a PhD in mechanical engineering I have a question regarding the importance between my research interests and my research experiences.

There is one university that has research that I find very interesting and exciting. I have read quite a bit about this field and have had an opportunity to tour a lab that, although not affiliated with the university, does research in this area. My problem is that this field of research is very different from any of my previous research experiences.

Does the fact that I have no research experience in this new area pretty much kill any chance I have of getting excepted to this university? I am not all that interested in the other research they are doing at this university that is related to my previous experiences.

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted