Research internship cv - any pointers?

In summary, when writing your CV for summer research placements, make sure to include relevant courses and lab projects in the education section, as well as offering to provide a transcript of your results. This will showcase your experience and make you a strong candidate for the position.
JesseC
I've pretty much finished writing a CV which I intend to email to some prospective summer research placements at universities in London and possibly internationally. Some bits are nagging me though, for example:

In the education section I've listed my previous year grades, and my expected final grade. Now I've seen some examples where people list a raft of courses that they've taken that they think may be relevant. I assumed this would not be necessary if I also offer to send a transcript of results?

Also I've stated I'm really interested in experimental rather than theoretical physics, should I provide examples of lab projects I've done somewhere in the education section?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is generally a good idea to list any courses that you have taken that are relevant to the research placement you are applying for. You can also provide a transcript of your results, but it is best to include a brief summary of any relevant courses you have taken so that the employer has an overview of your experience. It would also be beneficial to include examples of lab projects you have done in the education section if they are relevant to the research placement. This will demonstrate to the employer that you have hands-on experience and may help you stand out from other applicants.

1. What should be included in a research internship CV?

A research internship CV should include your personal information, education, relevant coursework or skills, research experience, any publications or presentations, and any relevant work experience or extracurricular activities.

2. How should I format my research internship CV?

Your research internship CV should be formatted in a professional and organized manner. Use headings and subheadings to clearly separate different sections and use a consistent font and font size throughout the document. It is also important to proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors.

3. Do I need to tailor my research internship CV for each application?

Yes, it is important to tailor your research internship CV for each application. This means highlighting the specific skills and experiences that are relevant to the internship you are applying for. This will make your application stand out and show that you have a genuine interest in the specific opportunity.

4. Should I include a cover letter with my research internship CV?

In most cases, it is recommended to include a cover letter with your research internship CV. A cover letter allows you to further explain your qualifications and interest in the internship, and it also gives the employer a sense of your writing and communication skills.

5. How can I make my research internship CV stand out?

To make your research internship CV stand out, you should emphasize any unique experiences or skills that you have. This can include research projects, relevant coursework, or specific technical skills. You can also ask for feedback from mentors or professors to ensure your CV effectively showcases your strengths.