Preparing for an Undergraduate Research Interview

In summary, in order to apply for undergraduate research positions at your university, you must interview at least three Physics faculty members about their research. It is recommended to read up on their work beforehand and ask questions about their current and future research. You are not expected to fully understand their published papers, and it is acceptable to ask for clarification or further explanations. Additionally, it is important to ask about work expectations, supervision, time commitment, and group organization during the interview. It is not appropriate to ask about payment, as this is typically determined by the university or faculty.
blieveucanfly
I have the opportunity to apply for undergraduate research positions at my university. In order to do this, I have to "interview" 3 or more of the Physics faculty about their research in order to learn more about what they're doing.

I'm wondering what sort of questions I need to ask?

For example, I know that one of the projects I'm interested in involves using laser-cooling techniques to trap and study ultra-cold plasmas. I've done a little bit of background reading on the subject, as well as the paper published on the trapping technique used... most of it was over my head :/

Background: Undergrad research at my Uni comes in 4 levels. The level 1 research positions I'm interested in don't require or expect you to contribute to the fundamental research going on, only that you actively learn about what's happening. I'm required to write a paper at the end of the semester (usually if you stick with a project, you go on to the level 2 position the next semester), and present a short summary(read "poster") at the annual science symposium for the STEM departments.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. 1st post.. be gentle if I inadvertantly broke any of the rules :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry too much about such an interview. You should prepare for it by reading up what the group does and reading up the basis of their method - which you already did. If there are remaining problems like "why do they do X; I thought one usually does Y" or uncertainties like "I don't understand how they do X; I have an idea but I don't know if it is correct" then that is exactly the things you can talk about in the interview. An obvious point is to ask about current and future research.
Most scientists enjoy to explain their work to people expressing an interest and have at least a basic understanding. Don't worry if a research paper is over your head. You are not expected to understand it. It would actually be pretty sad if by merely reading the paper an undergrad could fully understand work that the group of experts in the field spent 1+ man-years on. If you get the basic message to the point that you can start ask questions about it then you are well prepared (*).

On a more administrative levels, typical questions would involve asking what you are expected to do work-wise, how the supervision is handled, how much time you should expect to have to invest, and how the group is organized. Asking about payment is probably not indicated, because undergrad research is most likely either unpaid or paid according to some salary scheme dictated by faculty, university, state, or country. (take these as random advices and judge them at your own discretion; undergrad research does not exist in my country, university, institute, or at least not in the group I am in).

(*): Or let me illuminate the other side of the issue: Assuming the unlikely case that the professor expects the undergrad to understand their latest publication to a great detail and does not like to explain it to you. Is that the kind of group you want to work in?

1. What should I do to prepare for an undergraduate research interview?

To prepare for an undergraduate research interview, you should start by familiarizing yourself with the research topic or field that you are interested in. This will help you to understand the background and context of the research and be better prepared to answer questions. You should also research the faculty member or research team that you will be interviewing with, and read any relevant publications or papers they have authored. Additionally, make sure to review your own resume and research experiences, and practice answering common interview questions.

2. What kind of questions can I expect in an undergraduate research interview?

The questions in an undergraduate research interview will likely vary depending on the research field and the specific project you are applying for. However, some common questions may include asking about your research interests and experiences, your academic background, and your motivations for pursuing undergraduate research. You may also be asked about your problem-solving skills, ability to work in a team, and your long-term career goals.

3. Should I bring a portfolio or any materials to the interview?

It is always a good idea to bring a portfolio or any relevant materials to an undergraduate research interview. This could include copies of your resume, research papers or posters you have worked on, or any other relevant documents that showcase your skills and experiences. However, make sure to only bring materials that are directly related to the research project and avoid overwhelming the interviewer with too much information.

4. How should I dress for an undergraduate research interview?

The appropriate dress code for an undergraduate research interview may vary depending on the specific field or institution. However, it is generally recommended to dress professionally and conservatively, even if the research environment may be more casual. This shows that you take the interview seriously and are prepared to present yourself in a professional manner.

5. What can I do to stand out in an undergraduate research interview?

To stand out in an undergraduate research interview, you should demonstrate your passion and enthusiasm for the research field and the specific project you are applying for. Be sure to highlight any relevant skills or experiences you have, and provide specific examples to showcase your abilities. It is also important to ask thoughtful questions and engage in conversation with the interviewer. This will show that you are genuinely interested and have a strong understanding of the research topic.