Research on greenhouse cultivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of greenhouses to alleviate food insecurity in disadvantaged regions. The speaker has done some research on the topic but has not found any useful resources. They seek advice on how to approach their 3-page research assignment and mention the challenge of finding useful resources due to the high cost of materials and the temporary nature of some projects. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of greenhouses for growing fish and other aquatic organisms.
Leo Liu
Hi all.

I am doing a secondary research assignment about greenhouse. My research topic is to use greenhouses to alleviate the severity of food insecurity in disadvantaged regions. I did some research using google scholar and found nothing useful but the paper below.
https://sci-hub.se/10.1109/ghtc.2012.66

Could anyone tell me how I should work on this 3-page research assignment and what the good ways are in terms of finding useful resources?

Any input will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Israel has an active research program into improving crop yields in arid areas using genetics, with gravel layers, and plastic tenting to retain soil moisture (shading and limiting low night temperatures).

Because of materials costs greenhouses are not financially practical in many areas. Plus the greenhouses are torn down or are pillaged for scarce building supplies once the project is over. Find somebody with US Peace Corps experience to give you some help.

Likes Leo Liu
Fish and other aquatic organisms are often grown in greenhouses.
The enclosure of the greenhouse allows better control of possible pathogens than would be available on open ponds.

What is greenhouse cultivation?

Greenhouse cultivation is a method of growing plants in a controlled environment, typically inside a structure made of glass or plastic. This allows for regulation of temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors to optimize plant growth.

Why is research on greenhouse cultivation important?

Research on greenhouse cultivation is important because it helps us understand how to improve crop yields, reduce water and pesticide usage, and mitigate the effects of climate change on agriculture. It also allows us to explore new methods and technologies for sustainable food production.

What are some common challenges in greenhouse cultivation?

Some common challenges in greenhouse cultivation include maintaining optimal growing conditions, preventing pest and disease infestations, and managing nutrient levels in the soil. Other challenges may include high energy costs and the potential for environmental impacts.

What are some benefits of greenhouse cultivation?

Greenhouse cultivation offers several benefits, including extended growing seasons, protection from extreme weather events, and higher crop yields. It also allows for more efficient use of resources such as water and land, and can help reduce the carbon footprint of agriculture.

What are some current areas of research in greenhouse cultivation?

Current areas of research in greenhouse cultivation include developing more sustainable growing practices, improving the use of technology and automation, and exploring new methods for pest and disease control. Other areas of focus may include optimizing nutrient delivery systems and studying the effects of climate change on greenhouse crops.