Research on physics of table tennis

In summary, there are several books available that discuss the physics and mathematics of table tennis, including "Table Tennis: Steps to Success," "Table Tennis: The Skills of the Game," "Table Tennis: A Skill-Based Approach," and "Table Tennis: The Complete Guide."
kmikias
Hi guys i guess this is right place to ask this question b/c research section but if i did wrong sorry .any way i need help on this ...

I am a senior in school.there is something i need help on my senior project .My project is about table tennis and one of my objective is to research the physics and mathematics of table tennis.I try to find every book and article but i only got one person from the website knows about the physics of table tennis.I could use his website but my senior project requirement didn't allow personal blog ,personal site and wikipedia .they only allow high quality source like org,edu,gov...etc. you know any book that talks about the physics of table tennis .or if copies available.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few books that discuss the physics and mathematics of table tennis. One book is "Table Tennis: Steps to Success" by Vic Braden and Terry L. Miller. This book provides a detailed analysis of the game's physical principles, including ball speed, spin, angles, and strategy. Another book is "Table Tennis: The Skills of the Game" by Richard McAfee. This book focuses on the technical aspects of table tennis, such as grip, strokes, and footwork. It also includes an analysis of the game's physics. You may also be interested in "Table Tennis: A Skill-Based Approach" by Ian Marshall. This book covers the basics of the game, as well as the physics behind it. Finally, there is "Table Tennis: The Complete Guide" by Stephen W. Grant. This book covers the fundamentals of the game, as well as its physics and mathematics. All of these books should be available at your local library or book store.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your senior project topic with us. It's great to see that you have chosen table tennis and are interested in exploring its physics and mathematics.

There are definitely resources available that discuss the physics of table tennis. One book that I would recommend is "The Physics of Table Tennis" by Rod Cross and Crawford Lindsey. This book delves into the scientific principles behind the game and explains how they affect the performance of players and equipment. You can find this book on Amazon or check with your local library to see if they have a copy available.

Another resource you can check out is the International Table Tennis Federation's website (www.ittf.com). They have a section dedicated to sports science, which includes articles and studies on the physics of table tennis.

I understand your senior project requirements and the need for credible sources. In addition to the book and ITTF website, you can also look for articles published in academic journals such as "Journal of Sports Sciences" or "International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences". These journals can be accessed through your school's library or online databases.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your project! Table tennis is a fascinating sport and I'm sure your research will be very interesting. Good luck!

1. What is the physics behind the spin in table tennis?

The spin in table tennis is created by the friction between the ball and the racket. When the racket brushes against the ball, it creates a force that causes the ball to spin. The type of spin (topspin, backspin, or sidespin) is determined by the angle and direction of the racket's movement.

2. How does the speed of the ball affect the game?

The speed of the ball is a crucial factor in table tennis as it determines the pace of the game. A faster ball will require the player to react quickly and have a shorter amount of time to make a shot. It also affects the amount of spin that can be put on the ball, making it more difficult for the opponent to return.

3. What is the role of air resistance in table tennis?

Air resistance plays a significant role in table tennis as it affects the trajectory and speed of the ball. The size and shape of the ball, as well as the spin and speed, determine the amount of air resistance it encounters. Players must account for air resistance when making shots and adjust accordingly.

4. How does the type of table surface impact the game?

The type of table surface can greatly impact the game of table tennis. A smooth surface allows for a faster and more consistent bounce, while a rough surface can cause more unpredictable bounces. Additionally, the surface can affect the amount of spin that can be put on the ball, making it more difficult to control for both players.

5. How do different racket materials affect the game?

The material of a racket can significantly impact the game of table tennis. Rackets made of different materials (such as wood, carbon, or rubber) have varying levels of stiffness, weight, and grip. These factors can affect the speed, spin, and control of the ball, and ultimately, the player's performance.