1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Research opportunities in theoretical/mathematical physics for math undergrad major?

1. May 18, 2018 #1
    So I am about to switch to mathematics, as I absolutely adore pure mathematics as well as applied mathematics and I cannot stand learning mathematics without going deep into rigor of it for now(I am aware however that at times one just has to quickly learn sth to proceed with a project). But in the end I really wish to go into mathematical physics or theoretical physics.

As I have studied physics, I have realized that one can get research experience quite easilly. Mostly it takes one to just ask a professor to do some real research to learn scientific research, if not in the first year then in the second. Now most such research is experimental, but it is valuable experience with which one can get theoretical physics internships more easilly in the following years.

I was wondering if a mathematics major can also just ask a professor for any undergrad research project that would be more on the theoretical physics side. I have a lot of experience in programming as well, so I would be able to program a simulation for example. What would be an example for such undergrad research?

P.S. How do mathematics majors gain research experience in general? Another huge reason to switching to math is that I might even do pure math research or CS for example, to have more realistic opportunities for academia.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2018 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. May 24, 2018 #3
    A lot depends on the culture and willingness to provide research opportunities by the faculty at your school. At the Air Force Academy, all the math faculty knew my PhD was in Physics, so they gladly pointed math majors with an interest in Physics to me, knowing I'd work hard to provide a project for them. Other schools may not be so accomodating.

In most Physics departments, there are supply and demand issues regarding undergrad research opportunities. In some cases, there are more Physics majors desiring research than the departmental faculty can provide, and those that desire research in theory often lack the tools and training. As a result, they cannot all be provided opportunities. In other cases, there are so few Physics majors desiring research opportunities that all of them can be given a chance. You have to start knocking on doors and talking to faculty at your school to figure it out.

5. May 24, 2018 #4
    This is maybe the best piece of advice on the matter. A lot of people go and search for forms and institutions to get them into research while forgetting the human nature of it. Just go to someone's office knock and tell them about your interests and ambitions. I did the same and I have been in a research team for about two years now.

Also, don't fear rejection. I got rejected a couple of times but most people are really nice about it, telling you that the work is way too difficult or that positions are full at the time. So if you ask, its a win-win situation :)

6. May 24, 2018 #5
    I have no experience in that matter (pure math research) but I would guess it is the same as the above, just ask. Even if it turns out math research is not done under professors, the professors themselves can guide you to places you can work in.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted