1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research project idea?

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    research project idea!?

Hey, I am currently a junior in high school, and I need help on choosing a research topic.
    While looking and analyzing many "web pages" over the prestigious Caltech, I noticed one common thing. They only wanted students who showed a strong admiration toward science and math. And many students would show this by turning in a research project. I have, in my opinion, a great admiration for both these topics.
    Currently, I want to start a research project, but not alone. I wish to collaborate with an older adult, such as a teacher. I have someone in mind who would gladly take up the oppurtunity, but I don't know what I could research to turn in to Caltech, as well as any other universities.
    I love to learn about the theoretical side of physics, and presently have a strong interest in particle physics. Physics, is also good too though :). Do you guys have any ideas on what I can begin researching now?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    Re: research project idea!?

What kind of funding/resources do you have available?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3

Learn something called finite volume methods in computational fluid dynamics and program a solver that will use spherical coordinates to model turbulent flow around a sphere at a reynold's number greater than two. You can surely generate some pretty pictures of flow and use them to impress those Caltech guys. All it costs would be one computer and a compiler in the programming language of your choosing. You will be able to learn lots of math and physics from this project. Should you choose to accept this project, I can help you along the way.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4

Topher925: Well, I hadn't really thought of that, but I think my school will be willing to help sponsor my project. For resources, I have many maths teachers who love science. One has a degree in engineering, so I could ask her. A teacher I was willing to ask seems to know a lot about chemistry, physics. Moneywise, not sure though, I'll find out soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?