1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research Scientist or Physicist

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    I want to have some career advice from you all, let me first start with my background...

I graduated from a BME program, and finished a PhD in MRI last year. I am currently a Research Scientist at a hospital. After working for almost a year, I found myself lacking ideas in doing research. To be more precised, I couldn't do what I wanted to do due to some political issues and/or physical constraints. And I found myself are becoming less and less competitive if I wish to go for faculty post (since for every paper I wrote, I am not the first author).

Recently, I am considering applying medical physicist position elsewhere. The reason behind is that there're routine clinical duties and higher job security.

Any comments?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The MRI medical physicists I know are expected to do research and have faculty positions. If you're talking about radiation oncology medical physics, you'll likely have to do some retraining to get into the field.

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3
    Yes, I am considering going into some resident training program for radiation oncology physicist.
    Any pros and cons for my decisions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook