What are some possible research topics in medical physics and lasers?

In summary, Jill is new to this website and is interested in finding topics for her research project. She recommends starting with something that interests her and surveying the field to see what others have done. She also has to come up with specific questions to ask which will lead to more questions.
js1magee
Hi everyone,

Ive just joined this website today so I'm new to this forum stuff!

Anyway, I'm in my 4th year at University studying Physics, and this year I am to take a class called Research Skills. In this class we are to come up with some ideas about possible inventions/ideas etc and write an application for funding for it (you don't actually carry out the project work though). Its similar to Dragons Den if anyone watches that TV programme!

I was just wondering if people had any ideas about what sort of things I could research. I am particulary interested in Medical Physics and Lasers.

Thanks in advance

Jill

Physics news on Phys.org
Some hot topics in medical physics right now:
- proton therapy
- intensity modulated arc therapy
- MRI-based image guidance in radiation therapy

Or you might want to check out:
PMB's Highlights of 2007 at
http://www.iop.org/EJ/journal/-page=extra.highlights2007/0031-9155

There's nearly an unlimited number of things worth researching- it helps that you don't actually have to obtain funding :)

It's tough to answer this without providing details, so I'll use my own research as an example.

My advice would be to start with a topic that interests you, come up with a few ideas that make you think "Wow, it would be awesome if I could do that", or "If I knew how to do that, I could understand all kinds of things".

The next step is the critical first step in any research project- survey the field to see what other people have done and figured out. Use that information to modify and clarify your ideas.

In the end, you will (hopefully) generate a simple, well-defined question, for example "When a wildtype cell is exposed to unsteady flow, can it be induced into a cystic phenotype"? The best questions to ask are ones where answering the question leads to more questions, for example, in the process of answering the above, I can also try to answer:

Do different chronic apical flow conditions induce different epithelial phenotypes?

Do laminar and pulsatile flows provoke different epithelial cell responses?

Part of the research plan is then to identify specific experiments and techniques which you will use to answer the questions.

Does that help?

Thanks to both of you for replying :-). Your ideas and advice will certainly help me make a start on my project!

Jill

EDIT: Andy I just found out you work within Biophysics. Thats what my degree at University is! Just thought I'd let you know!

i have just joinded in site and iam a research scholar in nagarjuna university inglass science i require some new topic for may research

1. What are some current research topics in physics?

Some current research topics in physics include dark matter and dark energy, quantum computing, gravitational waves, and high energy particle physics.

2. How are research topics in physics chosen?

Research topics in physics are often chosen based on their potential to advance our understanding of the natural world and their potential for real-world applications. They may also be chosen based on current gaps in knowledge or to build upon previous research.

3. What tools and techniques are commonly used in physics research?

Some commonly used tools and techniques in physics research include mathematical modeling and simulations, experiments using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators, and data analysis using statistical methods.

4. How does physics research contribute to society?

Physics research has contributed to numerous advancements and innovations in society, such as new technologies in medicine, transportation, communication, and energy production. It also helps us better understand the fundamental laws of nature, which can have a profound impact on our understanding of the world and our place in it.

5. What are some potential future research directions in physics?

Some potential future research directions in physics include further exploration of the nature of dark matter and dark energy, advancements in quantum computing and technology, and continued efforts to unify the laws of physics through theories such as string theory and quantum gravity.