Researchers Play Tune Recorded on a Phynautogram

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

The 10-second recording of a singer crooning the folk song “Au Clair de la Lune” was discovered earlier this month in an archive in Paris by a group of American audio historians. It was made, the researchers say, on April 9, 1860, on a phonautograph, a machine designed to record sounds visually, not to play them back. But the phonautograph recording, or phonautogram, was made playable — converted from squiggles on paper to sound — by scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley, Calif.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/arts/27soun.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=science

Answers and Replies

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm using that for my new ringtone!

Evo
Mentor
Thanks Neutrino, very interesting!

Unfortunately my mother used to sing that song all the time when I was little and it will probably be days before I can get it out of my head.

turbo
Gold Member
I have lost the link to the site, but I once ran across a fellow on the web who made optical scans of conventional record albums, and had developed a program that "played" the scans. The quality was poor, but the ingenuity behind the implementation was impressive.

Man first the light bulb and now audio recordings. Is there nothing that guy wont plagiarise. :wink::smile:

Au clair de la lune, Pierrot répondit
this is highly mysterious, why did they record the first line of the second verse instead of the first.

We may never know the answer to that question.

This is a perfect example of why I listen to what history teaches us... but only believe what I see.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Very cool!

There has long been speculation that it may be possible to recover sounds that were present during the making of some clay pottery, but afaik, no one has shown that this is possible under any conditions.