Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Researchers Play Tune Recorded on a Phynautogram

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm using that for my new ringtone!
  4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

Thanks Neutrino, very interesting!

Unfortunately my mother used to sing that song all the time when I was little and it will probably be days before I can get it out of my head.
  5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

Gold Member

I have lost the link to the site, but I once ran across a fellow on the web who made optical scans of conventional record albums, and had developed a program that "played" the scans. The quality was poor, but the ingenuity behind the implementation was impressive.
  6. Mar 27, 2008 #5
    Man first the light bulb and now audio recordings. Is there nothing that guy wont plagiarise. :wink::smile:
  7. Mar 27, 2008 #6
    this is highly mysterious, why did they record the first line of the second verse instead of the first.
  8. Mar 27, 2008 #7
    We may never know the answer to that question.
  9. Mar 27, 2008 #8
    This is a perfect example of why I listen to what history teaches us... but only believe what I see.
  10. Mar 27, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very cool!

There has long been speculation that it may be possible to recover sounds that were present during the making of some clay pottery, but afaik, no one has shown that this is possible under any conditions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?