Calculating Area of a 396ft Tall Wall for 100,000 People

• Thread starter Takeio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plots
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the radius of a circular wall that can hold 100,000 people standing shoulder to shoulder, using rough measurements of 6 x .5 x 2 feet per person. The total volume of the bodies is calculated to be 600,000 cubic feet, and using the formula for the volume of a cylinder, the radius is solved to be approximately 22 feet. However, upon further clarification, it is determined that the people are not stacked on top of each other, but standing side by side, resulting in a larger radius of 357 feet or a diameter of 714 feet.
Takeio
Hey I am a new guy here...and I am trying to do research for a story of mine...i am trying to figure out the radius of a 396 foot tall wall, (flat on the inside) in the shape of a circle that can hold approx. 100 000 people...and in order to do that...i need to figure out the approximate mass of a human being, having rough measurements of 6 x .5 x 2 feet...can anyone help me figure it out?

im a bit stumped on it...i already know how to figure out the diameter from the total mass/ volume...in just trying to figure out the total volume based upon the standard human mass, multiplied by the height of teh wall and by 100 000 (people)
:bugeye:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
First you calculate the total volume of the bodies (assuming 6ft x .5ft x 2ft), which is 6ft^3 per person. 600,000ft^3 total.

We know this is the total volume for the bodies, thus the total volume of the silo.

We know that the volume of a cylinder is equal to the radius squared times the height times pi.

V=pi*r^2*h

We know V, pi, and h. Just solve for r.

600,000ft^3 = pi * r^2 * 396ft

r^2 = 482.3ft^2

r ~ 22ft.

A 22 ft radius.

a 22 ft raduis to fit in 100 000 people with the approximate mass of 6 feet cubed...?

I find this to be a little bit...problematic... :frown:

Takeio said:
Hey I am a new guy here...and I am trying to do research for a story of mine...i am trying to figure out the radius of a 396 foot tall wall, (flat on the inside) in the shape of a circle that can hold approx. 100 000 people...and in order to do that...i need to figure out the approximate mass of a human being, having rough measurements of 6 x .5 x 2 feet...can anyone help me figure it out?

im a bit stumped on it...i already know how to figure out the diameter from the total mass/ volume...in just trying to figure out the total volume based upon the standard human mass, multiplied by the height of teh wall and by 100 000 (people)
:bugeye:
Please note that mass and volume are completely different physical quantities. Also, there is the question of packing human beings. I don't understand what you mean by a circular wall that is flat on the inside. Please provide a diagram.

What's problematic about that? This means that the silo is 44ft wide and almost 400ft high. I think that's a reasonable size.

Well... I assumed that these bodies are going to be stacked and densely as possible. Are these dead bodies in this silo or did you want to know the size if people were only standing on the ground? If so, then the height of the people would be irrelevant.

okay..i was trying to specify...but it seems i failed to do that...i can't provide a diagram at the moment...but the people...would be standing...and to fit 100 000 people from where they are standing...not piled up on each other...

in their view...they are surrounded by a wall that's 396 feet high... no piling of any sorts. if they were all standing, side by side...shoulder to shoulder...(from the head...2 feet apart in all directions)...so i guess to multiply their height to the height of the wall would be the proper thing to do as well then...ack~

i'm really trying hard to describe what it is I am trying to figure out...but my words are noo good at all...ill try to create a diagram to better explain what it is I am trying to figure out...

So what I'm envisioning is a large circular wall. People standing, filling in this circle so that the center of their bodies are 2 ft away in each direction. This would mean that their shoulders are touching, and there is about 1 ft between each line of people.

We can do this by saying that the total area each person takes up is 2ft * 2ft = 4 sq ft.

Now, because the people are standing, the height of the people and the height of the wall is irrelevant.

A = 4 sqft * 100,000 people
A = 400,000 sq ft

A = pi * r^2
400,000 sq ft = pi * r^2

r = 357ft

So the wall would have a radius of 357 ft, or a diameter of twice that, 714 ft.

ahhhh...thank you...i was in the middle of making a diagram...because i thought i wasnt being clear enough (im not very good with communicating my thoughts aloud...)

What is the formula for calculating the area of a wall?

The formula for calculating the area of a wall is length x height. In this case, the length would be the perimeter of the wall and the height would be 396ft.

How many square feet are needed for 100,000 people?

Assuming each person requires 2 square feet of space, the total area needed for 100,000 people would be 200,000 square feet.

What unit of measurement should be used for the wall's height?

The height of the wall should be measured in feet, as it is a standard unit of measurement for length in the United States.

How accurate is the calculation of the wall's area?

The calculation of the wall's area is only as accurate as the measurements used. Any discrepancies in the measurements would affect the accuracy of the calculation.

What factors should be considered when calculating the area of a wall for 100,000 people?

When calculating the area of a wall for 100,000 people, factors such as safety regulations, space for amenities, and potential population growth should be taken into consideration.