What is the physics behind seismometers?

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary, a seismometer is a device used to measure the movement of the Earth. It is made up of a mass that does not move when the Earth is moving, and a speaker to generate an audio signal.
qspeechc
Hello everyone.

I am trying to research seismometers for a project. I need to know the physics of the seismometer. Preferably the older, mechanical ones, not the modern electronic ones I won't understand. I need to bring in ideas of resonance, forced oscillations etc. I have tried googling this topic, but I have not found anything on the physics. Sure, many sites, including Wikipedia, give a lot of backround material, and explain the general idea of a seismometer, but I have not found a website that gives a type of seismometer and explains the physics.

I tried looking for a book in the university library but found nothing. Similarly with online journals. Any help at all in finding sources would be ery much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, what is "rubber mandrel" in fiber optic seismometers?

I was just trying to find an electronics mag's article, where they presented a project for a seismometer. I though it was quite a nifty design. What a seismometer is basically a mass that does not move when the Earth is moving, so you can record to amount and type of movement.

The design was simple, it was a bolt, threaded fixed to the central magnet of a big, (low frequency) speaker, keeping the diaphram in place, on that threaded shaft to add nuts to give the central shaft the necessary mass, you then have a speaker (dynamic speaker, with a mass on it making it a sort of low frequency microphone, the speaker will generate EMF when the mass of the shaft/nuts moves in relation to the base of the speaker.

There are two main kinds of Earth movement, (you probably know better than me), the P wave and the 'other one', one I know is the up/down motion and the other is the sideways motion or back and fourth.

The speaker/mass combination is able to measure and differentiate between the two types of motion, the sideways motion will cause the mass to swing side to side creating a different signal to the up/down motion which will drive the coil/magnet up and down.

It also makes for easy logging of the collected data, as its basically an audio signal, that you can feed into you sound card.

It was either "silicon chip" or "elecktor" or "electronics world" that featured it.

Make a whole bunch of then, give them to your friends and loved ones, get them to install them in their back yards, sync your clocks, and then you have a cheap, internet connected detection network, you might be able to determine things like epicenter and things.

Good luck with your research..

What is a seismometer?

A seismometer is a scientific instrument used to measure and record seismic waves, which are vibrations that occur in the Earth's crust and are caused by earthquakes or other sources of energy. Seismometers are an important tool for studying the Earth's structure and understanding earthquake activity.

How does a seismometer work?

A seismometer works by measuring the motion of the ground in response to seismic waves. It typically consists of a weight suspended by a spring or pendulum, which remains relatively still while the ground moves. The motion of the weight is then recorded by a pen or electronic sensor, producing a seismogram that can be analyzed by scientists.

What types of seismometers are there?

There are several different types of seismometers, including mechanical, electromechanical, and digital. Mechanical seismometers use a pen and paper to record seismic waves, while electromechanical seismometers use electrical signals to record the motion of the ground. Digital seismometers use electronic sensors and produce digital seismograms, making them easier to store and analyze.

What can seismometers tell us about earthquakes?

Seismometers can provide valuable information about earthquakes, including their location, magnitude, and duration. By analyzing the seismogram, scientists can also determine the type of earthquake and the characteristics of the fault that caused it. This information can help us better understand and prepare for future earthquakes.

How are seismometers used in research?

Seismometers are an essential tool for studying the Earth's structure and seismic activity. They are used to monitor and record earthquakes around the world, allowing scientists to track patterns and make predictions about future earthquakes. Seismometers are also used in research to study the properties of different types of rocks and to detect and monitor other sources of seismic activity, such as volcanic eruptions and nuclear explosions.